Speaker pendant hangers wire rope electrical box

Status
Not open for further replies.

fail

Can we hang pendant speakers with screw anchors in the electrical box that the speaker wire is coming from?
Using a 4 x 4 box with a 1/2 knock out with a bushing with the 2 wire ropes and 2 speaker wires 16/2 ..

Can we add a picture?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
don't know of a code section that prohibits it.
I would not use the same hole for the speaker wire for the support wires. though

fail

But this how i was told to do it!
That's way I am asking, I don't think it is right.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It's not something the NEC would have anything to say about. The consideration here is the weight of the speaker and if it's light I don't see a problem. Not really any different than hanging a fixture with a chain. You don't tell us what speaker it is or show a picture other than the 4x4 box. It looks like there are redundant support cables which means that somebody was doing some thinking.

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
don't know of a code section that prohibits it.
I would not use the same hole for the speaker wire for the support wires. though

I would also be sure to run at least two independent means of support. That is, do not support it with a single loop of wire rope, allowing a single failure to bring it crashing down.
If you have two support wires, the each one individually should be able to support the weight. (Not in the NEC, but possibly in some other code.)

fail

We are using 2 wire ropes one for independent support.

But also not using a thimble on the wire rope, so the wire rope is getting a kink.

I watched a you tube that said we should use a thimble when we have an square edge where the wire rope is attached.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We are using 2 wire ropes one for independent support.

But also not using a thimble on the wire rope, so the wire rope is getting a kink.

I watched a you tube that said we should use a thimble when we have an square edge where the wire rope is attached.

How heavy are the speakers?

What is a "thimble"?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Hey, if there is a you tube on it that's how you have to do it. :happyyes:

None of this makes any sense unless we can see the whole thing including the speaker and how it's hung from the two cables.

-Hal

Smart $

Esteemed Member
How do I post a pic, the first post was deleted when I added the pic
I think there may be a restriction on attachments for new members. Don't know for certain, though.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :thumbsup:

I typically upload pic's to Photobucket then post

hbiss

Occupation
EC
1af29abc-40ef-4662-a1f9-381b1dcaad1f_400.jpg
Wire rope thimble, you've all seen them. Might be a little tough putting them through the hole of those ceiling hanger lags in that box. But then again are they even needed? Judging from the cable loops shown there doesn't seem to be much weight.

-Hal

fail

I will have to look up what the speakers weigh. It is putting a square spot in the wire rope.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If anything it's overkill. The instructions for that speaker only specify one hanger cable.

-Hal
If the screws are tightened properly and particularly if a safety loop is taken through the frame, the electrical wire can serve as a safety wire for lightweight speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.