400.8(A) Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I saw something in a newly remodeled space about a week ago, and it made me wonder. Here is the situation:
  • Junction box mounted to the structural ceiling. No suspended ceiling below, so the junction box is visible.
  • Flexible cord is connected at the junction box, and hangs down. There is a Kellum Grip supporting the weight of the cable.
  • At a height of about 4 feet above the ground (about 1 foot above the working desktop surface), the cable connects to 4x4 box. There is another Kellum Grip supporting the weight of the box.
  • There are two duplex receptacle outlets installed within the 4x4 box. Miscellaneous desktop items are plugged into these receptacles.
  • This installation is repeated about a dozen times in the same room.
  • These hanging cables are generally in the middle of the room, with no walls or columns nearby.

Part of me sees a flexible cord being used to supply a receptacle outlet, and that brings 400.8(A) to mind. The other part of me wonders how this could be any different than installing an overhead plug-in busway, installing plug-in units that have built-in receptacle outlets, and hanging a cord down to the user's level.

Opinions?

I resisted an urge to take a photo with my cell phone, because this was the place of work of a friend of mine, and I didn't want to cause anyone trouble.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
314.23 (H) Pendant Boxes. An enclosure supported by a pendant
shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (H)(2).
(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor
cord or cable in an approved manner that protects
the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief
connector threaded into a box with a hub.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
314.23 (H) Pendant Boxes. An enclosure supported by a pendant shall comply with 314.23(H)(1) or (H)(2).
(1) Flexible Cord. A box shall be supported from a multiconductor cord or cable in an approved manner that protects the conductors against strain, such as a strain-relief connector threaded into a box with a hub.
And very few field made pendant boxes use a box that has a hub and are a violation of the rule.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
What about 400.7 uses permitted? I don't see this application as allowed, unless the desks are moved around.
Perhaps this was done as it was a simple way to drop power down over using power poles.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
400.7 Uses Permitted.
(A) Uses. Flexible cords and cables shall be used only for
the following:
(1) Pendants.
:happysad:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In my "industrial days" this was commonplace. I have seen it rejected on the basis of the Code section don quoted and by an OSHA inspector for similar reasons (knockouts in the box vs hubs).
We switched to a 2 gang FS style box.. as I recall they were also rubber coated for 'head protection'..

3210.jpg
"woodhead" box pictured

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And very few field made pendant boxes use a box that has a hub and are a violation of the rule.
But the code only gives "box with hub" as one example. If you can get substantially the same strength and reliability you can meet the "such as" option. Subject to AHJ evaluation, of course.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thanks, everyone. One question: what is a "hub," in the context used above?
This box has a hub.

cch_f_fs_fdmulti_220.jpg

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Thanks, everyone. One question: what is a "hub," in the context used above?
Technically you can add a Myers hub to a 4sq box and it is compliant with the section quoted earlier. May not be the intent, but the section does not exclude non-integral hubs. And for scrutinizers, you can order kellem grip cord connectors with NPT threads.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Technically you can add a Myers hub to a 4sq box and it is compliant with the section quoted earlier. May not be the intent, but the section does not exclude non-integral hubs. And for scrutinizers, you can order kellem grip cord connectors with NPT threads.
OSHA will cite you for using a 4 square box like that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't see the threaded entry on a bell box as being a hub.
In a bell box most of the threaded body of the "connector" is inside the box, while we commonly think of hubs as having most or all of the thread outside the outline of the box.
Either way the length and strength of thread seems comparable. I call it a hub either way.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In a bell box most of the threaded body of the "connector" is inside the box, while we commonly think of hubs as having most or all of the thread outside the outline of the box.
Either way the length and strength of thread seems comparable. I call it a hub either way.
Not even remotely close as far as strength...you might have two threads engaged in the bell box, but 5 or more in a hub. Also the bell box walls don't have much strength as compared to FS type boxes with hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.