XFER switch installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to switch over two feeds from one source. The load from the service meter being the service panel and the load from the interruptible meter being the air conditioner. Like a one line diagram. Sizing conduit and wire size isn't the issue. How to keep it safe and right is my concern. Thanks.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I don't think you need a transfer switch at all. Meter #2 feeds the interruptible circuit and Meter #1 feeds everything else. All that's needed for the interruptible circuit (assuming that it's feeding only one load) is a disconnect which contains over-current protection and is listed for use as service equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How to switch over two feeds from one source. The load from the service meter being the service panel and the load from the interruptible meter being the air conditioner. Like a one line diagram. Sizing conduit and wire size isn't the issue. How to keep it safe and right is my concern. Thanks.
If you want the generator to supply both loads, you will need two transfer switches.

XFER switch

XFER switch

I don't think you need a transfer switch at all. Meter #2 feeds the interruptible circuit and Meter #1 feeds everything else. All that's needed for the interruptible circuit (assuming that it's feeding only one load) is a disconnect which contains over-current protection and is listed for use as service equipment.

I'm not sure you understand my question? I want to install a transfer switch. I'm asking how to install it with two loads?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I think you understand my question. Your answer is too expensive. Do you have an other idea?

If you are feeding two meters from one source then I would think if you put the transfer switch in the line of the one source feed (behind a service overcurrent device) and then went to your two meters that would work. But I really don't think POCO is going to let you do that if those meters belong to them......
So I see why Don is saying you need two transfer switches. They would be behind the meters, not in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.