User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is using the main panel as a junction box a code violation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_Current View Post
    Wires that are too short to reach the breakers can be extended as long as the space does not get filled more than 75%. What can not be done is using the panel as a junction for circuits that do not originate from that panel.
    So the rule is more about not having circuits inside that don't originate inside or are supplying the panel, and less about splicing inside?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    So the rule is more about not having circuits inside that don't originate inside or are supplying the panel, and less about splicing inside?
    Yes. There are two rules.

First one says “ enclosures for overcurrent devices, controllers and externally operated switches shall not be used as a junction boxes, troughs or raceways for conductors feeding through to other apparatus”. ​12-3032(1)

The other says. “The enclosure identified shall be permitted to be used as a junction box where wiring is being added to an enclosure forming part of an existing installation and the conductors, splices and taps do not fill the wiring space more than 75%”. 12-3032(2)(a)(i)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wires that are too short to reach the breakers can be extended as long as the space does not get filled more than 75%. What can not be done is using the panel as a junction for circuits that do not originate from that panel.
    Agreed, and if you pipe two panels together they are technically considered one panel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMANN06 View Post
    Agreed, and if you pipe two panels together they are technically considered one panel.

??? What do you mean by pipe two together?

You can can not have wires connected to a breaker in one panel leave, and then run through conduit to another panel, and then exit the second panel to the field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can can not have wires connected to a breaker in one panel leave, and then run through conduit to another panel, and then exit the second panel to the field.
    It's done with almost every residential generator-panel installation.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Not here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Good to know I'm doing my solar-battery backup generator installs just like everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ??? What do you mean by pipe two together?

I'm not arguing that your are not right to the letter of the law, I have done this before (in ontario) on a few occasions and got my ESA sticker with no questions asked. I think if your were doing a new installation with a generator panel and had joints in a panel the inspector would be shaking his head and likely force the noted codes. However in an existing installation (ie retrofitting a generator panel) there isn't a whole lot that you can do without a joint somewhere. That being said, I haven't done rezzy work for awhile so the ESA may have firmed up their stance on this since.