40 amp for any range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I own a fourplex, and it uses 40 amp breakers for the stoves. I have never heard any complaints about them kicking off. But then again, until recently they had Zinsco subpanels. Being replaced w/ C-H, but still no complaints.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The "secret" lies in Note 4 to Table 220.55 which allows that Table to be used for branch circuit loads. If you play with the math you will find that 220..55 will a range up to I believe 16 kw to be used on a 40 amp circuit.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
does "connected load" of 12 mean 12A?
if so then their claims for 50A min is not justified.
its a 16kW item when all is turned on high, which puts it as 65A @ 240v, which cant be right, they list watts for the burner locations as "watts(induction)", so is that some sort of conversion, like we have for cfl (2w cfl is like a 60w std bulb) ??

is 12x240=2880 watts = 16kW(induction) ??

Last edited:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
If the specs on a listed appliance call for a 50A breaker, the NEC requires you to honor that, yes?

i did not say a gross misprint is a way to not follow NEC. was just pointing out what looks to be confusing.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

If the specs on a listed appliance call for a 50A breaker, the NEC requires you to honor that, yes?

Specs or nameplate???
If instructions say 50A breaker, and the equipment is listed, then a 50A is required, regardless of what 220.55 says.... IMO :D

FionaZuppa

Occupation
By NEC you can install a 40 amp circuit for ranges from 9kw-14kw using Table 220.55

can you clarify the specs as listed on the link that was provided. is "watts(induction)" some sort of equivalence #? like 100watts of electrical power being used via induction technology is equivalent to 5kW of std electrical resistive element....

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
can you clarify the specs as listed on the link that was provided. is "watts(induction)" some sort of equivalence #? like 100watts of electrical power being used via induction technology is equivalent to 5kW of std electrical resistive element....
Red Herring! To me it does not say "Watts (induction)" it says " [this burner] is 2800W and is induction type."
The load amps are shown as 50A as well as the circuit required being 50A.
The load at 240 / 208 V is 12 /10.4 *kW*.
Note that since it is driven by an electronic power supply the max current is the same whether the supplied voltage is 240 or 208.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Red Herring! To me it does not say "Watts (induction)" it says " [this burner] is 2800W and is induction type."
The load amps are shown as 50A as well as the circuit required being 50A.
The load at 240 / 208 V is 12 /10.4 *kW*.
Note that since it is driven by an electronic power supply the max current is the same whether the supplied voltage is 240 or 208.

ah, i see what you mean, but add up all the elements on hi side, it's more like 15.8kW ?? this is almost 4kW over the specs.
12kW @ 240v is nice round # at 50A. on paper #'s vs actual ??

the webpage specs and their PDF sheet show slightly different, i was looking at webpage at the time

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
ah, i see what you mean, but add up all the elements on hi side, it's more like 15.8kW ?? this is almost 4kW over the specs.
12kW @ 240v is nice round # at 50A. on paper #'s vs actual ??

the webpage specs and their PDF sheet show slightly different, i was looking at webpage at the time
I am guessing that if you turn on all all of the elements at once it just throttles them down to keep the total within spec. Turn just one off and the rest can hit their max.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
I am guessing that if you turn on all all of the elements at once it just throttles them down to keep the total within spec. Turn just one off and the rest can hit their max.

thats about 24% reduction per element !! yikes, doesnt seem like that would be useful. that would mean riding 50A for hours, which would mean OCD would need to be bigger than 50A, no ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
I read the full user manual.
Each cooktop is divided into two cooking zones, each with its own "generator" board.
" If you want to use most if the elements at once, start with only one element in each zone and turn on the next element only after the first has reached cooking temperature. "
So that is the answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.