3 GFI circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I found a 50A Sq D QO GFCI breaker for 429.00$ if you are interested.
The only way to buy those (new from a distributor anyway) if you want a really good price is to throw one in with other items on a job quote, of course you have to buy all the items on the quote as well.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
if I have 3 GFI circuits how many neutrals do I need. Can you share a neutral with 3 GFI circuits.

If you share the neutral on the line sides there is no issue. For instance, run a full boat to a jb and then have 3 circuits come off that to 3 gfci receptacles

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Full boat? I assume that means 3 ungrounded conductors (one from each phase), one grounded, one grounding?

A full boat is 3 of one kind and 2 of another.
What you described would simply be 3 of a kind. :)

JAP>

JFletcher

A full boat is 3 of one kind and 2 of another.
What you described would simply be 3 of a kind. :)

JAP>

I'm quite familiar with the poker definition, just never heard it applied to wiring. How *would* it apply as Dennis mentioned? 3 hots, a neutral, and a ground is the minimum needed for a 3 GFCI outlet setup from a 3ph panel isnt it?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm quite familiar with the poker definition, just never heard it applied to wiring. How *would* it apply as Dennis mentioned? 3 hots, a neutral, and a ground is the minimum needed for a 3 GFCI outlet setup from a 3ph panel isnt it?
Three hots and a neutral would be a full boat, also called a round house on some crews.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm quite familiar with the poker definition, just never heard it applied to wiring. How *would* it apply as Dennis mentioned? 3 hots, a neutral, and a ground...
Exactly, though the ground is incidental since it is not really part of the circuit. In NEC parlance, it's a MWBC.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In electrical, the term full boat has the meaning of all ungrounded and the corresponding neutral. So for single phase 120/240 it would be three CCCs. For three phase it would be four CCCs. And for balanced two phase, where it existed, it would be four hots and a neutral.
As mentioned, an MWBC for whatever the supply scheme was.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In electrical, the term full boat has the meaning of all ungrounded and the corresponding neutral. So for single phase 120/240 it would be three CCCs. For three phase it would be four CCCs. And for balanced two phase, where it existed, it would be four hots and a neutral.
As mentioned, an MWBC for whatever the supply scheme was.

Be careful-- a full boat doesn't necessarily mean 3 current carrying conductor in single phase or 4 in 3 phase. The neutral may not count as a current carrying conductor

Full boat

single phase--2 hots & one neutral
3 phase-- 3 hots & one neutral

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Be careful-- a full boat doesn't necessarily mean 3 current carrying conductor in single phase or 4 in 3 phase. The neutral may not count as a current carrying conductor

Full boat

single phase--2 hots & one neutral
3 phase-- 3 hots & one neutral

Seems it would just be easier to call it what it is. A multi-wire branch circuit.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.