AIC ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch1228

I have a question about AIC ratings. There is an inspector in the Houston area that made a company change out a existing MDP panel because the customer installed a new 100 amp 3 phase 208 volt panel saying that the existing MDP does not meet the 2014 AIC rating. The existing MDP was installed in 2000 and the new 100 amp panel was installed about 1 year ago.
Should he have done this if he didn't check into the current sccr rating of the MDP
Thank you for your time in this matter.

Thank you everyone for your help in this matter
Butch

Last edited by a moderator:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't think you have provided enough information.

I'm sure there was more to it if the EC rolled over and replaced the Main.

Before somebody made me to this I would have involved a Engineer and the Equipment manufacturer. Unless that is I had good reason and a customer who had money to burn.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I must admit that I do not understand your situation. Is there a new code requirement in the 2014 NEC that the inspector is citing as having been violated by this installation? What exactly is the violation? Is it the MDP that has the violation or the 100 amp panel? Is the 100 amp panel fed from the MDP? Was a fault current calculation performed when the 100 amp panel was installed, or was there already a calculation in place that was used to select the 100 amp panel's SCCR value? Was there something about the 100 amp panel that could have caused the MDP to become subjected to a higher fault current, and is that the reason the MDP has a violation? Exactly how would replacing the MDP resolve the violation?

And finally, and perhaps the most perplexing: Why is the inspector now citing a violation for an installation that was put into place a year ago?

Sorry about the extensive questions, but welcome to the forum anyway. :happyyes:

mgookin

I have a question about AIC ratings. There is an inspector in the Houston area that made a company change out a existing MDP panel because the customer installed a new 100 amp 3 phase 208 volt panel saying that the existing MDP does not meet the 2014 AIC rating. The existing MDP was installed in 2000 and the new 100 amp panel was installed about 1 year ago.
Should he have done this if he didn't check into the current sccr rating of the MDP
Thank you for your time in this matter.

Thank you everyone for your help in this matter
Butch

It kind of seems like a litigation question. Is there, pending or otherwise, litigation connected to this question?

For clarification, this work was done a year ago? Or was the sub panel installed a year ago and now the inspector wants the MDP changed out?

As a general principle, a non-conformity (does not comply with today's code) may continue to exist and is vested to the code under which it was constructed, assuming it was lawfully installed back then. However a non-conformity can not be expanded to create an increase in non-conformity. Now go back and re-read the first four words of this paragraph. The question to be answered is "Does adding a sub panel (increasing the load) increase the non-conformity when the non-conformity is the AIC rating of the MDP?"

You ask "Should he have done this if he didn't check into the current sccr rating of the MDP(?)" Please define "he" and "this" as used in your question. Are you asking about the inspector or contractor?

Status
Not open for further replies.