User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tiny RC snubber, LC Filter for GFCI outlets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an L filter, not an LC, but it's probably small enough for your liking.
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2189017.pdf

An LC filter may have excessive capacitive current from hot to ground and may trip a GFCI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    It's an L filter, not an LC, but it's probably small enough for your liking.
    http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2189017.pdf

An LC filter may have excessive capacitive current from hot to ground and may trip a GFCI.
    The following LC filger is tested not to trip the gfci outlet:

They marketed LC filter as Surge Protector Device maybe because Metal Oxide Varistor is more expensive or not available:

It's selling like pancakes for people who need to protect their equipments from surges. But I no longer use it because the metal frame is not grounded. What if one wires inside contacts the chassis.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tersh View Post
    The following LC filger is tested not to trip the gfci outlet:

They marketed LC filter as Surge Protector Device maybe because Metal Oxide Varistor is more expensive or not available:

It's selling like pancakes for people who need to protect their equipments from surges. But I no longer use it because the metal frame is not grounded. What if one wires inside contacts the chassis.
    Aren’t you using GFCIs? You have no equipment grounds anyway. The energized metal frame will hurt you when touched. Maybe one of the two GFCI products you use will trip, if you haven’t managed to defeat it with add on garbage from a company that makes junk.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Aren’t you using GFCIs? You have no equipment grounds anyway. The energized metal frame will hurt you when touched. Maybe one of the two GFCI products you use will trip, if you haven’t managed to defeat it with add on garbage from a company that makes junk.
    I know the product above is junk that's why I'm not using it.

I'm arguing that all GFCI outlets that can nuisance trip from inductive kick and not leakage current are junk too hence must be removed from the market.

I'm saying this because the Siemens 2-pole GFCI breakers never tripped. The only time it tripped was when old circuit were plugged to it and it tripped when there is existing short from wire to concrete.

So all products must be like the Siemens breakers, never nuisance tripping. Is IEEE in charge of the standards. Want to write them and lobby for the removal of all junk gfci outlets in the market worldwide.