Lighting compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

This is new to me please bare with me.
Customer has approved certificate.
The pendant lights failed on inspection and I wasn't there to hear the wording, but it appears the fixture calls for 22 w lamps. They have 9.5 watt LED lamps and the inspector said someone could put a 60 w lamp in it later and since the fixture is rated at 40 w per base , it fails.
What needs to happen?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk

luckylerado

The pendant lights failed on inspection and I wasn't there to hear the wording, but it appears the fixture calls for 22 w lamps. They have 9.5 watt LED lamps and the inspector said someone could put a 60 w lamp in it later and since the fixture is rated at 40 w per base , it fails.
What needs to happen?
Thanks in advance

Could the same not be said about sticking a 100 watt bulb in a 60W rated fixture. As long as it is listed and marked with the max lamp wattage the fixture should be acceptable. Maybe the sticker was removed??

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
All sounds a little screwy to me other than he must be referring to ASHRAE 90.1 energy guideline stuff.
As far as being able to put a 60 watt lamp in a socket which has a listing of 40 watts I think the maximum wattage for a fixture goes by its listing not the fact a Edison base bulb of higher wattage could be used, heck why did he stop at 60 watts, 100 watts would fit also.
One possible way around it is to see if manufacturer has labels for that fixture that have the max wattage for LED or CFL's which might put the ratings within allowance of ASHRAE.

Unless as stated earlier, it's just an issue of the wattage sticker missing.

Last edited:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
All sounds a little screwy to me other than he must be referring to ASHRAE 90.1 energy guideline stuff.
As far as being able to put a 60 watt lamp in a socket which has a listing of 40 watts I think the maximum wattage for a fixture goes by its listing not the fact a Edison base bulb of higher wattage could be used, heck why did he stop at 60 watts, 100 watts would fit also.
One possible way around it is to see if manufacturer has labels for that fixture that have the max wattage for LED or CFL's which might put the ratings within allowance of ASHRAE.

Unless as stated earlier, it's just an issue of the wattage sticker missing.

it's a sticker deal.... and where you can put a 60 watt lamp in a fixture, you have to use 60 watts in your lighting load calcs.
even if you put a 3 watt LED in place of it. that KILLS edison base fixtures in california for commercial work.

as for 100 watt lamps, they are not allowed to be sold in california any more.
(i have a case of them, for sentimental value.)

Fitzdrew516

As others have suggested it has to have a max wattage label for each socket and that is the number you use for your lighting calcs. FYI - the label has to be from the factory, not an after thought. Usually if you want to spec a certain fixture and it has 100w max sockets you can special order that the manufacturer provides whatever labeling you need.

Anyway - how many fixtures are in question? I can't see this being an issue for 90.1 2007 (assuming the job is in Texas) unless it's like 100 fixtures. The 2007 90.1 code isn't really that strict at all. What type of work is this? If it's retail I bet there's more allowances you can take. That probably goes for commercial too.

- Drew

JFletcher

What needs to happen?
Thanks in advance

as far as Im concerned, there is no violation unless the stickers are missing.

Even a sticker doesnt mean someone cant later on overlamp it. There is no physical way to keep a 100W edison base bulb out of a 60W (or 40, or 25W) edison base fixture.

jcbabb

It sounds like you are describing an energy compliance certificate, such as ComCheck. The report states that your building meets a certain maximum number of watts of lighting per square foot. The lighting watts must be calculated by the rated fixture wattage, not by the lamps/bulbs that get installed. Since fixtures got installed that were a higher wattage than those on the compliance report, the compliance report is no longer valid.

Now, you either have to do a new compliance report using the higher fixture wattage and prove that it is still compliant with the watts/sf limit (it may or may not still be compliant), or you have to replace the fixtures with ones rated equal to or less in wattage than the ones that were used in the compliance report.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
What needs to happen?
Thanks in advance

Sounds strange if you installed what was on the certificate.
Unless your certificate is calculated based by maximum lamp wattage and listed 9.5 when it should have been 40w.
Also you may need to calculate lumens/ Watt. with a minimum ratio.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
But failing a 40 watt socket simply because someone could put a larger lamp in it is just bizarre.

You live in Kalifonia, why would you say that. You know you need to calculate watts by the maximum rating of the fixture not the installed lamp.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You live in Kalifonia, why would you say that. You know you need to calculate watts by the maximum rating of the fixture not the installed lamp.
The energy rating was based on 22W with 9W actually installed, but the fixture was rated up to 40, so energy compliance failed. I have no problem with that, being a Kalifornian.
But the OP said the inspector separately failed the fact that the 40W fixture would be unsafe if someone put 60W lamp in it. That second part is what I take issue with.
Someone could also install a 100W halogen or use a mogul base adapter and a 1000W bulb. :)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Based on what the OP states is that the fixture max lamp is 22w, we do not know if the compliance was based on the fixture max or the 9w lamps installed.

mgookin

it's a sticker deal.... and where you can put a 60 watt lamp in a fixture, you have to use 60 watts in your lighting load calcs.
even if you put a 3 watt LED in place of it. that KILLS edison base fixtures in california for commercial work.

as for 100 watt lamps, they are not allowed to be sold in california any more.
(i have a case of them, for sentimental value.)

Maybe one day there will be a referendum to allow "100W lamp dispensaries"

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Maybe one day there will be a referendum to allow "100W lamp dispensaries"

not likely. it seems the dispensaries around here are being overshadowed by the
"we deliver" folks.

forgive me, but i had an epiphany the other day, while waiting for my take out order
at the BBQ place to come up, and was looking at a copy of one of the "party hearty"
magazines they leave stacks of in various places... something called OC Weekly.

after seeing all the dispensary ads, mingled with all the "we deliver" ads, i'm almost
convinced that there are only three of us left in so calif who aren't smoking six joints a day.

add that in with the burgeoning heroin epidemic, and the long running meth madness,
and the erratic driving around so calif is starting to make more sense....

this concludes the test of the early SoCal rant system. this was only a test. if this had been
a real rant, you would have been directed to tune to a station where we could all vent our
disgust at whatever we are disgusted with.

again, this was only a test. we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.