NEC, Ceiling Mount Cord Reel and Class 1 Div 2 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aahz

I posed some of these questions in a phone call earlier today to one of the Forum mod and I think I stumped him a bit...so I'm looking to see if anyone has a clearer answer; I did send this to Appleton (Emerson) to get their take using their specific part numbers, so some Questions (like #2) are not applicable to the Forum.

I will start by explaining two situations that the customer has, both situations are in the same facility.

The facility is a diesel bus maintenance garage. The building engineers have classified the hazardous spaces in the garage as follows in accordance with Article 511 of the NEC;

• Maintenance Pits (below floor level) are Class 1 Division 2
  • Floor level plus 18" (AFF) is Class 1 Division 2
  • Ceiling level minus 18" is Class 1 Division 2
  • Space between 18" AFF and 18" below ceiling level is (or should be) unclassified space
They have requested cord reels in two (2) separate locations in the facility.

• Location 1:
The overhead cord reels (OH) will be located in un-classified space, but will have 50' cords on them and be mounted in an overhead configuration with the cords hanging down in un-classified space. The requested fitting on the cord end they have requested is a duplex outlets with GFCI. The floor is concrete, which may be applicable further in discussion.

• Location 2:
The cord reels will be mounted to the wall of the maintenance pits. The cord reels will be mounted with the cord pointed perpendicular to the wall. The requested fitting on the end of the cord reel is a duplex outlet with GFCI. The floor, pit walls and floor of the pit are concrete, which may be applicable further in discussion.

The purpose of both of these types of reels is to bring portable power to the point of use. To the best of my knowledge at this time, none of the portable equipment this customer is using in any of these locations is rated for Class 1 Division 2 use and does not have any Class 1 Division 2 plugs in use.

Common Concern for Locations #1 & #2:
In order to meet the request of the customer, I am looking at utilizing the following equipment:

• Model AERL22-163-50 Cord Reel mounted overhead
  • Model CG-6250S Wire Mesh Strain Relief
  • Model CG-6250 Cable Connector
  • Two (2) Model EFS250-2023GFI Receptacle Box (a total of two (2) receptacles and two (2) GFI) OR Two (2) U2023PGFID1G3 (Estimated weight of 18 lbs)

Question #1:
Would either receptacle box be acceptable to be mounted on a permanent cord reel meet Class 1 Div 2 standards if both the reel and the receptacle are listed for Class 1 Div 2? Article 501.145 (A) says "receptacles shall be part of the premises wiring (except as permitted by 501.140(A)

Question #2: If the answer to #1 is "yes", will the reel spring tension support the weight of the design outlined above? (ie. will the reel spring keep the contraption off the floor and hanging in the air as intended?)

Question #3: From my reading of NEC, (and I am NOT an electrician or in any way shape or form an expert), it appears that Article 501.140 would prevent or at least discourage, the use of a power cord reel from being utilized as an extension cord, even if the reel itself is listed as Class 1 Div 1 or 2. Article 501.140 A. (2) may provide the exception,

Question #5: Article 501.140 A.(5) is for "temporary" portable assemblies, but if the cord reel is permanently attached to the wall or ceiling, it cannot be considered "temporary". Would the USE of the cord reel be considered "temporary"? (If it is only used when needed?)

Question #6: Article 501.140 B.(3) refers to the installation of Flexible Cords and states that they must be supported by clamps or other suitable means so that there is no tension on the terminal connections. Is a Strain Relief Cord and Cable Connector (as noted above) capable of insuring there is no tension is placed on the connections when the receptacle and containment boxes are hanging from the cord?

Question #7: Article 501.145 (A) says "receptacles shall be part of the premises wiring (except as permitted by 501.140(A)). If the receptacle is attached to the end of the cord reel and the cord reel is permanently attached to the premises, is the receptacle attached to the premises? This relates back to Question 1 a bit...Is a portable receptacle (ie. extension cord) even allowed?

Individual Location Questions:
Location 1:
Question #1: Does the reel need to be listed as Class 1 Division 2 (it is in un-classified space) or does only the receptacle and cord that has the potential to enter the Class 1 Div 2 Environment need to be Class 1 Div 2?

I'm sorry for the length of this scenario, but as I keep typing and reading, I continue to come up with additional issues I see with this situation!

Please let me know your thoughts!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I had my eyes dilated a few hours ago and my eyes are still wonky. I won’t even attempt to look up the cited Appleton parts. I will assume they are suitable for the proposed location classifications and would otherwise be suitable for pendant mounting in an unclassified location.

Normally diesel is not a basis for classifying at all; however, depending on other products that may be used in a repair garage, classification may be reasonable. I still question the classification of the ceiling.

Answer 1. Yes

Answer 2. Probably

Answer 3. Pendant mounting is fine for the described application; however, at 50', an auxiliary strain cable may be necessary.

Answer 4. Good question.

Answer 5. See Answer 3

Answer 6. Cord grips are suitable strain reliefs

Answer 7. Yes. The critical issue is actually501.140(B)(2)

Location Answer 1. The reel only needs to be identified for its location.

Aahz

I had my eyes dilated a few hours ago and my eyes are still wonky. I won’t even attempt to look up the cited Appleton parts. I will assume they are suitable for the proposed location classifications and would otherwise be suitable for pendant mounting in an unclassified location.

Normally diesel is not a basis for classifying at all; however, depending on other products that may be used in a repair garage, classification may be reasonable. I still question the classification of the ceiling.

Answer 1. Yes

Answer 2. Probably

Answer 3. Pendant mounting is fine for the described application; however, at 50', an auxiliary strain cable may be necessary.

Answer 4. Good question.

Answer 5. See Answer 3

Answer 6. Cord grips are suitable strain reliefs

Answer 7. Yes. The critical issue is actually501.140(B)(2)

Location Answer 1. The reel only needs to be identified for its location.

Thanks for the feedback! I had to laugh at Question 4 answer...I must have had something there that I answered before posting..or I just completely spaced it out..Hope the eyes are OK!

Aahz

Updated with reply from OEM

Updated with reply from OEM

Thanks for the feedback! I had to laugh at Question 4 answer...I must have had something there that I answered before posting..or I just completely spaced it out..Hope the eyes are OK!

The OEM apparently has a different interpretation of 501.140 ... I'm back to being confused!

Before we get to your questions, please see below page. By my understanding, the customer’s application is closely illustrated by the Lift-Balance Diagram. This is the application by which the reel and the cable will have to support the weight of the fitting at the end of the cable. For your guidance, AERL22-163-50 can support at most the weight of the 50-foot 16/3 Type SO cable along with a 3-5 lbs accessory at the end. Since you’re looking at using two of either EFS2502023GFI (8.45 lbs) or U2023PGFID1G3 (8.5 lbs), in a Lift-Balance application, the AERL22-163-50 will not be able to support.

Now your application mainly involves the end of the reel cord going to the receptacle, like an extension cord, in a Class I, Division 2 location. As per checking, NEC Article 501.140(A) specifically states that flexible cords used on portable utilization equipment must be attached directly to the utilization equipment with a cord connector that meets the rating of the portable equipment. Therefore, this means that the reel plus receptacle cannot be used as an extension cord in Class I, Divisions 1 and 2 locations.

With that said, you cannot use our AERL22-163-50 Reelite with EFSR-GFI Factory Sealed Receptacles in your application.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I will not argue with a manufacturer when they say their product is unsuitable for a given application.

I already mentioned in Answer 3 that a 50' pendant may need auxiliary support.

However, with regard to the concept of a Class I, Division 2 receptacle that is suitable for pendent mounting, I stand by my earlier responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.