EMT in poultry house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

PVC would be better. I haven't an NEC reference. But, I have worked gathering eggs when I was very young. It is a very corrosive environment.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Would EMT be an allowable wiring method in a chicken house ?

i'd think PVC would be preferable.... i looked at doing work in a duck factory a few years
back, and they had EMT, and all you had left was wire running thru minnies... honest.

i'd think that poultry facilities would all be the same in terms of wiring methods that would succeed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depends how long you want it to last. What about using aluminum? Just guessing but probably the best would be PVC coated RMC. :cool:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Depends how long you want it to last. What about using aluminum? Just guessing but probably the best would be PVC coated RMC. :cool:
I don't know that you gain much, other than cost, buy going to PVC coated rigid, other than if you have physical damage issues.

The do make stainless and aluminum EMT now, but expect that would be more expensive than PVC.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I haven't done a poultry house, but I have a done a lot of dairy work. We've ran EMT in the barns for years, but only for ceiling work. The first barn our shop did 16 years ago, still looks fine. Anything down low depending on location would either be pvc, pvc coated rigid, or just regular rigid.

peter d

Us city slickers don't know much about chicken barns :p but PVC sounds like the logical choice to me. Maybe Frank Perdue Jr. can chime in. :lol:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The problem with pvc in barns, especially roofs, is expansion. We're getting ready to do some 2200' long dairy barns that I'm going to wire in EMT just because pvc is so labor intensive with expansion fittings, straps every 3', two screws per pvc strap instead of one for regular emt 1 hole straps.

PVC is okay for stubups and small stuff, but with any length to the runs, it becomes a real pain.

JFletcher

Never done a barn/chicken house, so a few questions: how far down do you worry about washdown/chicken excrement being a factor? Would LF(N)MC be used along with water-resistant enclosures? As for mains runs, even EMT is going to need expansion joints if run the better part of 3/8ths of a mile, yes?

I remember staying at a chicken farm in AL overnight. Even in March, the smell was beyond hideous...ammonia. I'd think corrosion resistance would possibly take priority over anything else, but ofc that's to make a 'bulletproof' design, and cost is always a factor.

kwired

Electron manager
The problem with pvc in barns, especially roofs, is expansion. We're getting ready to do some 2200' long dairy barns that I'm going to wire in EMT just because pvc is so labor intensive with expansion fittings, straps every 3', two screws per pvc strap instead of one for regular emt 1 hole straps.

PVC is okay for stubups and small stuff, but with any length to the runs, it becomes a real pain.
Your dairy barns, especially modern ones, probably have 14-20 foot side walls and probably have a lot more natural ventilation putting the ceiling mounted items further away from the corrosive source.

Poultry barns have low ceilings and could have less natural ventilation meaning more corrosive elements are in the air inside the building as well.

The dairy barn probably gets the floors flushed but seldom if ever has anything else washed except in milking areas. Poultry barns may be washed, everything including ceilings, periodically. I have a turkey grower I have worked for over the years, they don't wash the grower barns very often, the brooder houses are washed between every brood though.

Add: The grower barns have mostly natural ventilation, the brooder houses are mostly power vented.

peter d

I remember staying at a chicken farm in AL overnight. Even in March, the smell was beyond hideous...ammonia. I'd think corrosion resistance would possibly take priority over anything else, but ofc that's to make a 'bulletproof' design, and cost is always a factor.

I had never seen commercial farming operations up close until I traveled to Ohio. I had the opportunity to check out a hog CAFO (confined animal feeding operation.) I wanted to go inside but as I got near it the smell was so bad that I almost lost my lunch. I literally had to stop to regain my composure. I was able to hold it down and walked along side of it, but just couldn't stomach going inside. I have never smelled anything that bad in my life. I asked the farmer if he smells it and he says he doesn't even notice it. :huh:

kwired

Electron manager
I had never seen commercial farming operations up close until I traveled to Ohio. I had the opportunity to check out a hog CAFO (confined animal feeding operation.) I wanted to go inside but as I got near it the smell was so bad that I almost lost my lunch. I literally had to stop to regain my composure. I was able to hold it down and walked along side of it, but just couldn't stomach going inside. I have never smelled anything that bad in my life. I asked the farmer if he smells it and he says he doesn't even notice it. :huh:
It usually isn't as bad inside as it is outside, or at least doesn't seem as bad for some reason.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
We have sure taken a familiar journey from the OP of EMT being allowed to installing Rob-Roy :)

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
We have sure taken a familiar journey from the OP of EMT being allowed to installing Rob-Roy :)

I agree. The question was:Would EMT be an allowable wiring method in a chicken house ?

I think yes, If it complies with 358.10 (B) and 300.6 (A) and (A) (1)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree. The question was:Would EMT be an allowable wiring method in a chicken house ?

I think yes, If it complies with 358.10 (B) and 300.6 (A) and (A) (1)
It is certainly "permitted"... just not explicitly.

See 547.5.

FWIW, I grew up on a farm with 100-150 indoor hens at most times... cooped, not caged. We had galvanized steel nesting boxes for the hens to lay eggs. For the thirty some years the farm was in my family, there was no sign of corrosion on the nesting boxes.

kwired

Electron manager
It is certainly "permitted"... just not explicitly.

See 547.5.

FWIW, I grew up on a farm with 100-150 indoor hens at most times... cooped, not caged. We had galvanized steel nesting boxes for the hens to lay eggs. For the thirty some years the farm was in my family, there was no sign of corrosion on the nesting boxes.
I bet same hen house had NM cable and surface mounted plastic body switches, receptacles, lampholders as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.