Continuous

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Bonding the gas piping to the grounded water pipe near the interior water heater tank gives a higher impedance to earth ground, as compare to bonding it to the service entrance ground. A good installer should do this way for better lightning protection.

So you think 15' or 20' of conductor and black iron pipe is going to change the impedance in a meaningful way?

Now you are just grasping at straws.

So you think 15' or 20' of conductor and black iron pipe is going to change the impedance in a meaningful way?

Now you are just grasping at straws.

If the length and running path is not important then why NEC states that GEC should be short and straight as possible? If we agree that short and straight is best for GEC, then choosing 20' and a few 90* turns pipe should be not too good for lightning current to flow to the gas piping I would think.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the length and running path is not important then why NEC states that GEC should be short and straight as possible? If we agree that short and straight is best for GEC, then choosing 20' and a few 90* turns pipe should be not too good for lightning current to flow to the gas piping I would think.
Please cite the code section that says that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thank you. I know I read it somewhere, but I can't cite because I don't have a book :sick:
But Chapter 8 is a stand alone chapter and the rules there have do not apply to the GECs required by Article 250. For the types of GECs that are being discussed here, there is no rule like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.