Standard Electrical Symbols

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyadevi89

Hi,

Hope all are having a great work day!
I found some NEMA Standard Electrical symbols for one line diagram. Are we following NEMA standard ?
if not where can I find standard Electrical symbols used for one line diagrams?

Thanks in advance :)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So just to be more correct, NEMA has nothing to do with wiring diagram or one-line diagram symbol standards. In fact, NEMA is not really an official standards organization, it's a manufacturer's group. The people who call them "NEMA symbols" are usually Europeans who don't know about how we operate. That document says Eaton on it, but that's just because Eaton bought Klockner Moeller a few years ago, and that publication came from KM, a German company.

Official one-line diagram symbol standards for North America are maintained by ANSI, they can be found in ANSI Y32.2-1975, and the numbering of devices on a one-line diagram comes from ANSI C37.2-1996

The symbols we commonly use for wiring diagrams (different from one-lines) are what used to be called the "JIC" standard (Joint Industrial Council), but although the JIC was absorbed by NFPA-79 a long time ago, they are still referred to as JIC symbols.

Last edited by a moderator:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is there a point besides misspelling duplex?

:D

If you mean 'is there a point besides bringing attention to the word duplex being misspelled', that's pretty much it. I guess the 'capacitor' typo was a hard act to follow.

It's funny how typos that are noticed in minutes by forum readers slip by the publisher's proofreaders. I got a letter from the NFPA once about a membership or something and they spelled electrician wrong on it.

:eek:

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
So just to be more correct, NEMA has nothing to do with wiring diagram or one-line diagram symbol standards. In fact, NEMA is not really an official standards organization, it's a manufacturer's group. The people who call them "NEMA symbols" are usually Europeans who don't know about how we operate. That document says Eaton on it, but that's just because Eaton bought Klockner Moeller a few years ago, and that publication came from KM, a German company.

Official one-line diagram symbol standards for North America are maintained by ANSI, they can be found in ANSI Y32.2-1975, and the numbering of devices on a one-line diagram comes from ANSI C37.2-1996

The symbols we commonly use for wiring diagrams (different from one-lines) are what used to be called the "JIC" standard (Joint Industrial Council), but although the JIC was absorbed by NFPA-79 a long time ago, they are still referred to as JIC symbols.

They may not be an official standards organization, but they do publish a standard with one-line symbols:

http://web.fscj.edu/Mark.Bowman/handouts/NEMA electrical and schematic symbols standards .pdf

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I think the general rule of thumb is that you can use whatever symbol you would like, as long as you provide a legend sheet.

With that said it is best to use what people are most familiar with; in US that would be ANSI symbols. Although, ANSI recognizes IEC symbols as being acceptable. I personally like the IEC power transformer, voltage transformer, and current transformer symbols better.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
It's funny how typos that are noticed in minutes by forum readers slip by the publisher's proofreaders. I got a letter from the NFPA once about a membership or something and they spelled electrician wrong on it.

:eek:
I am a real stickler for correct spelling and using the correct word (there, their, they're) and I think the designers whose drawings I check appreciate me being that way.
I'm not a municipal employee I work for a private firm.

Status
Not open for further replies.