electrical meter near gas meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

journeyman0217

hey all,
wiring an addition and noticed that the gas meter is located on the outside corner of the house. it is located exactly where I would have liked to mount my electrical meter! I thought I remembered something in the code about having to be 3 feet away from the gas meter? am i just making that up or is there a code article that addresses this issue? if so can you please let me know the article. thank you in advance!

user 100

I haven't read it but it's always 3 feet around here, only the meter, you can run conduit or cable closer

Afaik it is 3' for the meter, 18" for conduit/sec and a foot for the ground rod per gas code. Still though op may really want to check his utilities/ahj for their preferences- they might/might not allow play in any of those clearances.

kwired

Electron manager
I was thinking it wasn't the gas meter that was the issue it is the vent on the gas regulator that needs some separation from electrical equipment should it happen to vent some gas. There are sometimes regulators seen indoors that have that vent piped outdoors though those seem to mostly be on older installations.

user 100

I was thinking it wasn't the gas meter that was the issue it is the vent on the gas regulator that needs some separation from electrical equipment should it happen to vent some gas. There are sometimes regulators seen indoors that have that vent piped outdoors though those seem to mostly be on older installations.

I agree -Think the 3' foot rule is mainly for the reg vent and the proximity to switching, disconnects etc- but there is another 36'' req for the distance between the face of the panel and the ng meter itself......
Op really needs to check w/ his local guys on this.

Last edited:

GerryB

I had a service rejected once for the pvc passing within inches of the vent for the gas fireplace. (it went up past the vent) The only time I called the state inspector and he told the local ahj it was ok.

kwired

Electron manager
I had a service rejected once for the pvc passing within inches of the vent for the gas fireplace. (it went up past the vent) The only time I called the state inspector and he told the local ahj it was ok.
The gas regulator vent or the exhaust vent from the fireplace?

A concern with the fireplace exhaust vent may be how much heat comes from this vent and how it may impact the PVC. Otherwise there shouldn't be much other issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.