NEC 200.6(A) Anybody know why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

If you're running 3 #6 THHN to feed a house panel, you can phase tape the ungrounded conductors. However, the grounded conductor must be pulled in white, gray, or other manner that complies with 200.6(A). I know that is the code, I just don't know why. This came up because we did a 6 unit bldg. and one of my newer guys didn't realize it and phase taped the #6 neutrals. When we reviewed it he asked WHY the code doesn't allow phase taping the neutral and frankly I couldn't come up with a good answer. Anybody know the reason that the code doesn't allow phase taping the neutrals smaller than #4?

Also, in searching for the answer to this question I noticed several posts that said for ungrounded conductors you can phase tape any size. We are not allowed to phase tape wire smaller than #8 here in SF (nless part of a cable). I've done it that way or so long I thought it was part of the NEC but I couldn't find a reference.

iwire

Staff member
Kind of tough to answer as the NEC does not require you use color at all for identifying ungrounded conductors. Even in cases where the NEC requires ungrounded conductors to be identified you could use numbers or tags or any other effective means.

On the other hand grounded conductors are required to be white, they give us a break in large sizes and in premade cables but other than that a grounded conductor must be white.

jumper

It is an old and useless rule. I freely admit I have violated this section more than a few times.

I am sure that at one time that it made sense, but the current validity is highly questionable IMO.

The problem is that it is so entrenched that it probably would take an act of GOD to get it removed/changed.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
We are not allowed to phase tape wire smaller than #8 here in SF (nless part of a cable). I've done it that way or so long I thought it was part of the NEC but I couldn't find a reference.

I worked in that city for about 15 years (until 2011) and it was the SF electrical code that permitted this.

sfav8r

Kind of tough to answer as the NEC does not require you use color at all for identifying ungrounded conductors. Even in cases where the NEC requires ungrounded conductors to be identified you could use numbers or tags or any other effective means.

On the other hand grounded conductors are required to be white, they give us a break in large sizes and in premade cables but other than that a grounded conductor must be white.

Here in SF we are required to phase tape all panels. Phase tape on #14 - #10 is not permitted. You must repull correct wire color for those size conductors. You can phase tape #8 and above for ungrounded and #4 and above for grounded.

----------------------

§ 210_210.5

(C). Revise this section as follows:

San Francisco has deleted language from the 2010 California Electrical Code from this paragraph.210.5(C). Ungrounded Conductors. Each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination, connection, and splice points. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. The method utilized for conductors originating within each branch-circuit, panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

Conductor insulation shall contain continuous color pigment for circuit wire #14 AWG through #10 AWG. Ungrounded conductors #8 AWG and larger and ungrounded conductors of any size in cable assemblies may be suitably identified at pull junction and outlet boxes.
Conductor insulation shall be:
(1) 120/240 volt 3-wire circuits – “A” phase black, “B” phase red; 120/208 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits – “A” phase black, “B” phase red, “C” phase blue; 120/240 volt 3-phase delta circuits – “A” phase black, “B” (high leg) phase purple, “C” phase red; 277/480 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits – “A” phase brown, “B” phase orange, “C” phase yellow. Ungrounded conductors for other voltages shall be identified by different color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.
See Section 200.7 for limitations on re-identification of white or grey conductors.
(2) Conductors for switch legs may be of a different color than the ungrounded circuit conductor when suitably identified at pull, junction and outlet boxes with marking tape, tagging or other equally effective means. The color green, white or grey shall not be used for identification.
Exception: Extensions of existing non-color coded wiring systems need not be color coded.

iwire

Staff member
Here in SF we are required to phase tape all panels. Phase tape on #14 - #10 is not permitted.

I understand you have this local rule, that is why I said it is hard to compare your rule with any rule in the NEC.

Personally I think that local rule is ridiculous.

Carultch

It is an old and useless rule. I freely admit I have violated this section more than a few times.

I am sure that at one time that it made sense, but the current validity is highly questionable IMO.

The problem is that it is so entrenched that it probably would take an act of GOD to get it removed/changed.

Are you saying that there is actually no real life safety issue with termination taping wires of all sizes?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I am pretty sure the allowance to tape large conductors began as an exception. Removing it would mean that ALL grounded conductors regardless of size would have to be identified by factory insulation color.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Given the availability of white and grey in larger conductor sizes, if there is a change, I would expect it would be to remove the provision that now permits the use of tape to identify grounded conductors #4 and larger.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
§ 210_210.5 (C). Revise this section as follows:
California municipalities can amend the California Codes only if they can provide a justification based on local "climatic, geologic, or topographic" conditions. Moreover, the changes have to be registered with the state California Building Standards Commission. So I was curious to see what justification San Francisco provided for this amendment. It was:

5. Additional fire, structural, and other protection is required due to high building density and crowded occupancy. (Topography)

Sounds pretty dubious to me. Prescribed color coding provides additional fire protection?

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
Are you saying that there is actually no real life safety issue with termination taping wires of all sizes?
I can't speak for him but my opinion (especially if you have a smaller neutral then grounded conductor where permitted) that if you can't tell what is hot and what is not maybe you better call someone that knows what they are doing. I have run into hundreds of improperly identified grounded conductors over the years yet was able to look at how it was connected and say to myself that better be a grounded conductor or we have a problem, or something along that kind of story line.

For those that open a panelboard and see all black incoming supply conductors and are lost because they have absolutely no idea what voltage to expect on what conductors need to take a good hard look at if they are cut out for this career - JMO. Seems obvious to me the one landing on the neutral bus is very likely going to be the neutral, if it is a 250 volt max design panelboard, it is probably 120/240 or 208/120. If it is 277/480 design panelboard it is likely 277/480 but could be lower voltage (but very rarely is). If there are still questions get your meter out and do a little more investigating, it isn't that hard if you have any interest at all in this trade.

Given the availability of white and grey in larger conductor sizes, if there is a change, I would expect it would be to remove the provision that now permits the use of tape to identify grounded conductors #4 and larger.
Availability is demand driven.

There used to be a lot of white and even green taped #6 and #8 seen around here. Most installed before my time in the trade. I heard some of why was because supply houses weren't stocking those colors in those sizes, not because they weren't available but because enforcement of code was more relaxed or even non existent at that time. Now there is no such excuse, the supply houses do stock them.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
For those that open a panelboard and see all black incoming supply conductors and are lost because they have absolutely no idea what voltage to expect on what conductors need to take a good hard look at if they are cut out for this career - JMO.

I got to work in a steel mill where every conductor was black. Not black from the dirt, they were pulled in black and the people there had pretty much the same feeling.

I thought it was stupid, but the pay was good.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So how do you install a 600V system? What color is left for switch legs?
Switch legs are still phase conductors and must be identified as to phase and system, even in the NEC rules. In my opinion, if you are using the insulation color to identify the phase and system of the hot conductor to the switch, that same insulation color must be used to identify the switch leg. You need to use some additional marking if you want to identify it as a switch leg.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Here in SF we are required to phase tape all panels. Phase tape on #14 - #10 is not permitted. You must repull correct wire color for those size conductors. You can phase tape #8 and above for ungrounded and #4 and above for grounded.

----------------------

§ 210_210.5

(C). Revise this section as follows:

San Francisco has deleted language from the 2010 California Electrical Code from this paragraph.210.5(C). Ungrounded Conductors. Each ungrounded conductor of a branch circuit shall be identified by phase or line and system at all termination, connection, and splice points. The means of identification shall be permitted to be by separate color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means. The method utilized for conductors originating within each branch-circuit, panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment shall be documented in a manner that is readily available or shall be permanently posted at each branch-circuit panelboard or similar branch-circuit distribution equipment.

Conductor insulation shall contain continuous color pigment for circuit wire #14 AWG through #10 AWG. Ungrounded conductors #8 AWG and larger and ungrounded conductors of any size in cable assemblies may be suitably identified at pull junction and outlet boxes.
Conductor insulation shall be:
(1) 120/240 volt 3-wire circuits – “A” phase black, “B” phase red; 120/208 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits – “A” phase black, “B” phase red, “C” phase blue; 120/240 volt 3-phase delta circuits – “A” phase black, “B” (high leg) phase purple, “C” phase red; 277/480 volt 4-wire 3-phase wye circuits – “A” phase brown, “B” phase orange, “C” phase yellow. Ungrounded conductors for other voltages shall be identified by different color coding, marking tape, tagging, or other approved means.
See Section 200.7 for limitations on re-identification of white or grey conductors.
(2) Conductors for switch legs may be of a different color than the ungrounded circuit conductor when suitably identified at pull, junction and outlet boxes with marking tape, tagging or other equally effective means. The color green, white or grey shall not be used for identification.
Exception: Extensions of existing non-color coded wiring systems need not be color coded.

Been a long time since I've worked there, but I recall we were able to identify grounded and even grounding conductors (I know that terminology is obsolete now) with tape (or other effective means) #8 and larger. I'm long gone from there and on my phone so I won't bother to look it up, but this is what I remember.

I sure detest that city. Glad I'm gone.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Been a long time since I've worked there, but I recall we were able to identify grounded and even grounding conductors (I know that terminology is obsolete now) with tape (or other effective means) #8 and larger. I'm long gone from there and on my phone so I won't bother to look it up, but this is what I remember.

I sure detest that city. Glad I'm gone.
Only thing improper is that grounding is typically preceeded with the word "equipment".

"Grounded conductor" and "equipment grounding conductor" have been and still are proper NEC terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.