Running 24v or 12v with 120v or 460v

Status
Not open for further replies.

RexV24

Hi Guys,

I need your help in this one. I have a project where I will need to run a signal cable (12-24 VAC) as well as higher voltages like 120V and 460V. I was told by a contractor that as long as the 4 wire signal cable is twisted and shielded, i would be able to run both of the voltages in parallel through the same track or conduit. It made sense at the time, but I want to run it by you guys to see if it is OK to do so. Thanks in advance.

RexV24

Thank you for your help. I know that my 120V and 460V have a 600V insulation rating. I will check up on the signal cable to see what that is rated for.

Thanks,

iwire

Staff member
They sound like class 2 or class 3 conductors so that will mean you will not be able to run them together regardless of 300.(3)(C)(1).

Here is the note after that section and it is important to follow it.

Informational Note No. 1: See 725.136(A) for Class 2 and
Class 3 circuit conductors.

RexV24

Could you sort of help me out on this one. I tried to find out the difference between class 1 2 & 3 but am still a little confused. Hopefully you guys wont mind if i describe some of the components and you let me know what class it falls under and why. This is for an air conditioning unit. It has a fan motor @ 460V. there is a heater which requires a 120V power supply which will be powered by a transformer. There is an actuator which requires 24V again from a different transformer. Since the heater is modulating, it requires a 0-10 DC signal. Thanks,

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
You might be able to zip tie the cable and run it right with the conduit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.