User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conduit Re-Route/Offset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conduit Re-Route/Offset

There are (7) 4” conduits rising up 12 floor and a pull box on each floor. Two of the conduits( the last two to the right) are empty and they want them separated from the box as they will have fiber on them. I suggested a barrier and they said no, they want a separate box. There is about 2’ of space to the right of the box and I was thinking maybe a pencil box. This happens on very floor. My question is how would one remove these two conduits and “offset” them to a new box right next to the existing box? Didn’t really get good pic of the right side of the box where the empty conduits are. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	22677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture 2.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	22678  

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cut the EMT near the upper slab and lower slab bend your offsets and install them with the new box next to the existing box. You'll need one slip coupling on each run. Simple job, BTW it looks like there is already a barrier in the box.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Cut the EMT near the upper slab and lower slab bend your offsets and install them with the new box next to the existing box. You'll need one slip coupling on each run. Simple job, BTW it looks like there is already a barrier in the box.
    It looks like two barriers actually. This question just raises questions for me. First and foremost is, who is going to pay for this? That this happens on 12 floors makes a difference. It makes no sense to me that a barrier isn't OK, I could see if it was CAT 6 and they were worried about radio interference but with fiber it makes no sense. If they are paying for it, then I would probably do what Infinity said on the first floor. The other box doesn't have to line up so your new offset can be whatever it needs to in length. Fro there up, I would probably core new holes and just run new straight pieces of conduit and leave the existing in the existing box. I wouldn't try to offset on every floor.

If I were footing the bill, I would partner with a sheet metal company and figure out a way to cut off the box and put a new sidewall on it. and then either mount a wireway or make another box for the fiber.

I would be complaining the whole time.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot very helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inf, are you saying after you cut the pipe, then remove the piece attached to the box, attached your bent offset with the coupling? Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Inf, are you saying after you cut the pipe, then remove the piece attached to the box, attached your bent offset with the coupling? Thanks

Yup, basically you remove the straight piece and replace it it with two offsets to route the conduit outside of the box.
    Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, basically you remove the straight piece and replace it it with two offsets to route the conduit outside of the box.
    Thought so, thanks. Also, since its 480v very close I'd imagine it would be smart to do this while the feeders are shutdown.?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    It looks like two barriers actually. This question just raises questions for me. First and foremost is, who is going to pay for this? That this happens on 12 floors makes a difference. It makes no sense to me that a barrier isn't OK, I could see if it was CAT 6 and they were worried about radio interference but with fiber it makes no sense. If they are paying for it, then I would probably do what Infinity said on the first floor. The other box doesn't have to line up so your new offset can be whatever it needs to in length. Fro there up, I would probably core new holes and just run new straight pieces of conduit and leave the existing in the existing box. I wouldn't try to offset on every floor.

If I were footing the bill, I would partner with a sheet metal company and figure out a way to cut off the box and put a new sidewall on it. and then either mount a wireway or make another box for the fiber.

I would be complaining the whole time.
    The engineer( the fiber engineer) said because the power is 480V and he's worried about interference.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought so, thanks. Also, since its 480v very close I'd imagine it would be smart to do this while the feeders are shutdown.?
    Looks like there is a barrier in the box already to isolate it from the existing feeders. Just close the box and cut out the pipes from the outside.
    Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The engineer( the fiber engineer) said because the power is 480V and he's worried about interference.
    They would be better off to spend the $$ on a new engineer...
    "
    "Optical fibre is not affected by magnetic of electrical fields. At least none that you'll find outside high-energy research labs."
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.