Clarification on article 680 please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

Hi,

I'm a little confused about running a new circuit for a outside pool motor. I understand it must be in conduit with insulated green egc, there must be a single receptacle, and the circuit must be protected by gfci circuit breaker. My question is if it's permissible to run 12/2 romex to the outside wall of house then transition to pvc conduit with THWN conductors to the pool motor 10' away. It sounds like it must be in conduit all the way back to the electrical panel but for some reason it seems like overkill to use conduit inside basement on the ceiling instead of romex. The pool motor is 115 volt, 11 fla.

By the way, the panel is Federal Pacific and HO doesn't want it changed out. I bought a FP breaker from Home Depot. Unfortunately FP doesn't make a gfci breaker that I know of so I have to run it to a dead front gfci before running the circuit outside.

thanks

tkb

If this is a single dwelling unit, then yes you can use romex inside the house and change to PVC and THWN with an insulated EGC. See 680.21(A)(4)

user 100

Hi,

I'm a little confused about running a new circuit for a outside pool motor. I understand it must be in conduit with insulated green egc, there must be a single receptacle, and the circuit must be protected by gfci circuit breaker. My question is if it's permissible to run 12/2 romex to the outside wall of house then transition to pvc conduit with THWN conductors to the pool motor 10' away. It sounds like it must be in conduit all the way back to the electrical panel but for some reason it seems like overkill to use conduit inside basement on the ceiling instead of romex. The pool motor is 115 volt, 11 fla.

By the way, the panel is Federal Pacific and HO doesn't want it changed out. I bought a FP breaker from Home Depot. Unfortunately FP doesn't make a gfci breaker that I know of so I have to run it to a dead front gfci before running the circuit outside.

thanks

FPE made a gfci brkr, but even if you could find a vintage FPE gfci via ebay or amazon, etc- DON'T EVER DO IT. The fpe gfci had a very high failure rate and basically had the same issues the reg brkrs had.

I don't know if connecticut/ubi whatever makes gfci replacements for FPE, but remember too that part of the problem w/ FPE is the brkr to bus connection, obviously replacement brkrs won't help w/ that.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, FP made a GFCI breaker but as User 100 stated I wouldn't trust it. You're better off leaving the panel and into a dead-front GFCI and then out to the pool motor if you want to do it that way.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
You gotta love it when you get the "I need a hot tub / swimming pool / whatever but I don't have money to swap out that panel that will possibly burn my house down or leave portions without power due to burning through the cables."

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You gotta love it when you get the "I need a hot tub / swimming pool / whatever but I don't have money to swap out that panel that will possibly burn my house down or leave portions without power due to burning through the cables."
Wasn't it John Wayne who said "You can't fix stupid" ?

Cavie

Hi,

thanks

EGC for Pool light must be in conduit back to the main panel.

tkb

EGC for Pool light must be in conduit back to the main panel.

Based on the original question 680.21(A)(4) applies and an uninsulated EGC is acceptable within the house to the panel. Once it leaves the house, then it must be insulated.

Unless you have a code reference to the contrary.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Cavie, why do you keep bringing up pool lights when the question is about motors? :?

As far as I can see, Tim is right, romex inside and insulated EGC outside.

Cavie

Cavie, why do you keep bringing up pool lights when the question is about motors? :?

As far as I can see, Tim is right, romex inside and insulated EGC outside.

Just brought up a reminder for the pool light. I wish I had a dollar for every time I herd " I forgot about the light".

Status
Not open for further replies.