RV site requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Yes. While not always enforced 250.32 requires a grounding electrode for any building or structure supplied by a feeder.

I agree.

Which also means they will likely need to install two rods at each.

That said, I have been in few campgrounds and do not recall seeing any signs of ground rods at the pedestals.

Would they also have to be bonded to the metal water line often with them or beside them?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Would they also have to be bonded to the metal water line often with them or beside them?
Does having a water line in the ground near the pedestal or water connection near the pedestal, make the water line "present at the structure"?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If it does not come out above ground it certainly does not serve the structure (pedestal). In any case you are not required to dig it up to connect to it.

iwire

Staff member
If it does not come out above ground it certainly does not serve the structure.

If they did not come up out of the ground they would not be of much use.

water_hose_RV.jpg

iwire

Staff member
Here is another type of set up

Strange-Sewer-Connection.jpg

Does the NEC require we bond the pedestal to the metal water line?

Should we do it anyway?

I know I would feel more comfortable having those bonded together.

iwire

Staff member
According to the CMP discussion in the ROC for the 2014 edition, an RV pedestal is not a structure and as such does not require a GES.

They got to get their stuff together because other CMPs have made clear a simple light pole is s structure.

jumper

According to the CMP discussion in the ROC for the 2014 edition, an RV pedestal is not a structure and as such does not require a GES.

They got to get their stuff together because other CMPs have made clear a simple light pole is s structure.

News to me. I agree with iwire.

The dissenters, a minority, argued texie's statement and lost. Majority said it was.

Panel Statement:
CMP-19 accepted Proposal 19-79 to clarify that an RV
pedestal is a separate structure and the provisions of Article 250 apply.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it does not come out above ground it certainly does not serve the structure (pedestal). In any case you are not required to dig it up to connect to it.
The code rule doesn't say anything about the water pipe serving the structure...it only talks about it the water pipe being present at the structure.

I think it is clear if the water connection is attached to the same support as the electrical equipment, that the pipe is present at the structure, but is it present at the electrical structure if the water is on its own structure a few feet away?

kwired

Electron manager
Always nice having the water line right next to the commode
Actually I don't think they are supposed to be that close together per plumbing codes. Not talking about the inlet/outlets so much as the buried lines. They need separation (not sure exactly how much) so that it is not easy to hit both of them with excavation equipment and cause potential contamination of the potable water system.

Of course we don't know exactly what they do once they enter the ground, but appears they are pretty close together for a little ways at the very least.

Sahib

Gentle men:
You better look at the issue from the viewpoint of a relevant Federal law, in addition to NEC, which states any hazard such as a dangerous touch voltage in a work place shall be removed. So the design should be such that the touch voltage resulting from a ground fault in a RV is within permissible limit even during the operation of OCPD to clear it.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Gentle men:
You better look at the issue from the viewpoint of a relevant Federal law, in addition to NEC, which states any hazard such as a dangerous touch voltage in a work place shall be removed. So the design should be such that the touch voltage resulting from a ground fault in a RV is within permissible limit even during the operation of OCPD to clear it.

An RV is a workplace? What happened to "recreation"?
And shortly after the hazard comes into being it will be removed by the OCPD, right?
How can you remove a dangerous touch voltage before it happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.