Demo of existing equipment, conduit, wiring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngd4130

Can anyone direct me where and if the N.E.C. requires abandoned electrical systems to be demo'd if the service is disconnected from the power source?
In this case, the 480 volt service was disconnected from a warehouse but the 120/240 volt service was maintained for offices and misc. equipment. So the warehouse 480v equipment is not being used anymore because the use is more for storage.
The contractor wants to leave all 480 volt equipment intact. Any comment?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There is no NEC requirement to remove that type of equipment or wiring from the structure. I would leave it unless someone is paying me to remove it.

iwire

Staff member
The contractor wants to leave all 480 volt equipment intact. Any comment?

The inspection department does not have the authority to force people to destroy or throw away their property.

If the time comes they want to energize it again you could certainly inspect it for compliance before letting it be used again.

The few places the NEC does 'require' removal of conductors their are exceptions if you label the conductors for future use.

bcnj

3d2593eefa40068c416c580a1ca5de24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darekelec

110.12 (B) ...There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affectsafe operation or mechanical strength of the equipmentsuch as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated bycorrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

existing electrical equipment cannot be left deteriorated

bcnj

Neither does "Removal of Fire alarm wiring or communications wiring" Just stating the only codes we can find that requires you to actually remove electric components.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Neither does "Removal of Fire alarm wiring or communications wiring" Just stating the only codes we can find that requires you to actually remove electric components.

Sorry, but your post sounded like you were answering the OP's question.

Can anyone direct me where and if the N.E.C. requires abandoned electrical systems to be demo'd if the service is disconnected from the power source?

iwire

Staff member
110.12 (B) ...There shall be no damaged parts that may adversely affectsafe operation or mechanical strength of the equipmentsuch as parts that are broken; bent; cut; or deteriorated bycorrosion, chemical action, or overheating.

existing electrical equipment cannot be left deteriorated

If it is dead it has nothing to do with an electrical inspector.

jumper

The only requirement to remove abandoned general equipment covered in Chapters 1-4 that I know of is the removal of disused/abandoned conductors for outlets in subfloor(?) raceways covered in 372, 374 and 390.

iwire

Staff member
The only requirement to remove abandoned general equipment covered in Chapters 1-4 that I know of is the removal of disused/abandoned conductors for outlets in subfloor(?) raceways covered in 372, 374 and 390.

And I believe they all have exceptions to allow leaving them in place.

user 100

There is no NEC requirement to remove that type of equipment or wiring from the structure. I would leave it unless someone is paying me to remove it.

When doing a rewire we will not remove all older wiring. We will obviously remove some when it's possible to use it to fish, or cut it short as possible then roll up remaining in the wall, cap it/ etc-basically make it difficult for someone to attempt reuse any old cable.

Owner wants complete removal they have to pony up more money- the stuff is then non energized abandoned scrap.

thewire

Abandoned cable is identified as a cable that is not terminated at equipment and not identified for future use with a tag [725.2, 760.2, 770.2, 800.2, and 820.2] and the NEC does require the accessible portion of abandoned to be removed [725.3(B), 760.3(B), 770.3(A), 800.52(B), and 820.3(A)]

Quoting

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Abandoned cable is identified as a cable that is not terminated at equipment and not identified for future use with a tag [725.2, 760.2, 770.2, 800.2, and 820.2] and the NEC does require the accessible portion of abandoned to be removed [725.3(B), 760.3(B), 770.3(A), 800.52(B), and 820.3(A)]

Quoting

Chapters 7 and 8 do not apply to the OP's question however, even if they did you need to take note of your definition, once a tag or label is put on the wiring it is no longer "abandoned wiring" and can stay in place.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.