POCO rejects service

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

The POCO has rejected a 3 gang service I just did. The inspector passed it and said he would have done the same thing. What I did was come out of the right side KO instead of the top of the meter where you would put a reducer and a hub etc. Reason is the meter had to move left of the original, 2 family house was sided with j-channel around the old conduit, so by coming out the side I was able to go right in the old space where the channel was. Here is there guidebook on it.
"Under no condition will the company approve the installation of metered and unmetered conductors in the same conduit, raceway or wiring trough. In combination meter-main service equipment, the line and load wiring must be isolated to there respective compartments."
I just got off the phone with the supervisor. There interpretation is because I came in the left bottom side of the meter the line and load run together past the first meter provision. They are saying I HAVE TO come out the top of the meter.
This is a straight 3-gang meter provision with bypass levers, no mains, so I don't know if I would call it meter-main equipment. There are really no distinct compartments like in a meter with a main. I said to the supervisor in an underground service you come in the bottom and out of the bottom. Tomorrow I have to send him some pictures.
So two questions. What do you think, and also I have read about splicing feeders could that be done. (I'll probably just change the whole thing though.)

growler

I don't really see the problem but I don't work for the power company.

I would say that if you have to, then set a trough above the meters and run you conduit to that and then to the meters and make splices in the trough. Done all the time in commercial but I would get approval from power company before use in residential.

GerryB

f48b6266055cc59209ed3308aee1eecd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This is what they call metered and unmetered in same conduit, trough or raceway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

the enclosure in which this horrible offense occurs is neither a conduit, trough, or raceway.
it appears to be a metering section.

so, he's getting his undies bunched 'cause you crossed from one section of "gear" to another?
got help him if he ever seens a MCC. he'll spaz right out on the floor in front of it.

kwired

Electron manager
Not the same thing, no one steals power from a MCC
They don't from this multigang meter either without breaking any seals on it. They have taken a legitimate rule too far.

If anything it should fail because it is upside down:)

The siding behind it is upside down too.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I would have no concern energizing that. If theft is a concern as mentioned the seals would have to be cut, and that could mean someone jumped the meter lugs rather than tapping off the unmetered conductors.

Its possible, (though a best guess) that worker safety policy might be at play. They want to see the service conductors coming down and going to the lugs rather than an unknown.

growler

Its possible, (though a best guess) that worker safety policy might be at play.

I can see that. In our modern world if you deviate from the standard way of doing things in any way it tends to set off alarm bells. This install requires someone to actually make a decision if it's acceptable and when a decision is made someone can be held responsible ( people don't like that).

That's why it's best to do things the way they are used to seeing them. To come in the top of the meter can may have been a little more work but a lot less confusion.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is not about worker safety

It is all about power theft.
I agree, the POCO is not concerned with safety in this case, they would expect that only qualified people would ever be inside their sealed equipment.

Roger

growler

I agree, the POCO is not concerned with safety in this case, they would expect that only qualified people would ever be inside their sealed equipment.

Roger

I'm sorry fellows but I really can't see power theft as being the major concern.

You already have unmetered power in every section of the meter cabinet. It doesn't get cut off when one apartment doesn't have electrical service. They normally just pull the meter and put on the insulation booties and re-install the meter with a different color seal showing there is a disconnected service. If they are really worried about meter tampering they put on the barrel locks for the meter (much harder to get off than a seal).

How would this installation make it any easier for a person to steal power?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
by looking at the picture right side up, why did you not come in to the left of the 2nd floor meter??

If some one wants to steal power they will, No matter what. But POCOs have their rules and most are not very lenient on their rules.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

It might be the logic, but its faulty. I can still steal power without having un-metered conductors running through. A simple #14 across the jaws is a classic, something that seals are designed to catch. I am not aware of any methods of power theft even with unmetered conductors inside the compartment that do not involve breaking the seal in regards to the base itself. I say base itself because there are other forums of theft beyond the meter that do not require seals being cut, however in this conversation that worry can be ommited imo as the concern is the base itself.

I can see that. In our modern world if you deviate from the standard way of doing things in any way it tends to set off alarm bells. This install requires someone to actually make a decision if it's acceptable and when a decision is made someone can be held responsible ( people don't like that).

That's why it's best to do things the way they are used to seeing them. To come in the top of the meter can may have been a little more work but a lot less confusion.

You have a point here. Perhaps it might be intended to prevent worker confusion. But at the same time Id teach linemen to think outside the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.