User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Band width

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Band width

Is there a simple way to discover what device(s), in my recently and temporarily full home, is using the most bandwidth? My 8 year old home wireless router is not keeping up? Suggestions?

Using my cells hot spot at the moment.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 8 year old router is probably obsolete.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your WiFi can only handle so many devices at once depending on the WiFi access point built into your router or your separate access point. At some point speed starts to drop off and it has nothing to do with one device hogging the bandwidth. I'm not a big fan of router/WiFi all-in-one combinations primarily because the router is probably going to be at some location that won't provide optimum WiFi coverage. Also, combination router/WiFis don't usually have the features (for both for the router and WiFi) and power that a separate router and access point can provide.

That said, I would consider that an 8 year old router isn't helping you.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification, or DOCSIS,

I'm assuming you have a cable or other high-speed connection available for your Internet service. The Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification, or DOCSIS, is what my (Spectrum) cable / ISP uses. You have to use a modem authorized by the cable company; you can buy your own or rent one of theirs (business accounts must use one of theirs).

Speed depends on the model of modem you choose; more $ is faster. (: Quoting from https://highspeedexperts.com/home-ne...es-it-matter/:
    "Channel bonding allows for the aggregation or combination of several downstream and upstream channels to deliver these much-improved speeds across the board. With channel bonding, the more channels that are present, the better, so for instance, while a 16 downstream by 4 upstream setup is fast, a 24 x 8 system can be even faster."

Remember the good 'ol days when you could hear the modems talking-- first a whistle, then a low-pitched growl, then a high-pitched growl? That was your modem activating the highest speed link your phone line could stand. 'Channel Bonding' creates several of those links, and aggregates them into a single, faster, link.

I miss hearing the modems talk.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the router is EOL...but I don't want to.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    I'm assuming you have a cable or other high-speed connection available for your Internet service...
    I'm assuming that all that is true and good. I don't think the OP is saying his internet speed is the problem though he could certainly check it easy enough. (speedtest.net) If it were me I would get a decent small business router to go after his cable modem and a separate WiFi access point and locate it somewhere central to where his devices are.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the fastest speed your provider has provisioned your service.
    As others have stated the older Modems don't have the number of bonded channels that modern ones have. If you are with a cable provider you need a DOCSIS 3.0 or greater capable modem. With I would say at least 8/4 channel. That is 8 downstream and 4 up. You can get better but form much usage it will suffice. I personally with go with a 16/4 as I will never pay for the Gigabit or even 400 service that is currently available so no need for a 32/8.

That said also be wary that your older devices may not be able to communicate at the faster rates. The bottleneck is that the modems and routers wifi do not provide the greater bandwith to the older WIFI protocols such as B,G,. So you could have Gigabit speed but slow at the device. unfortunately you need to keep up with the tech in this respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something else important to check is interference from other wifi networks in your neighborhood.

I was having problems with my wifi, and it turns out that while my signal strength was fine, the neighbor's wifi was interfering with the signal. I used 'netspot' from a phone to identify the least congested channel and adjust things. I still have problems but it is a big improvement.

-Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wireless connections are fine if that's all you've got, but you can always wire the house for Ethernet! A wired connection will (in most cases) always be faster than WIFI (or BlueTooth). For a desktop machine, it makes sense-- because it's not likely to be hauled out onto the patio! Even laptops can use a wired connection-- just put an outlet (with a dangling cable) next to your favorite chair and plug in!