Anti oxidizing for AL wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big john

Aluminum conductor alloys used for the past 25 -30 years or so do not require antioxidation compounds at terminations.

Older alloys did require use of compounds....
How are they different? Dry aluminum, properly terminated seems to last regardless of whether an environmental sealant was used. Maybe the really old stuff didn't, I honestly don't know.

But we very commonly see that connections exposed to any sort of moisture or environmental gassing fair much better when a sealing paste is used. This is supported by visual results, thermography, and conductor resistance readings.

Stuff like No-Ox definitely has a useful application.

kwired

Electron manager
Ok, this is coming straight from macmikeman so all you guys pay close attention. When installing services and using aluminum ser cables in either Hauula, Laie, Kahuku, Sunset Beach, Haleiwa, or Wailua, you better put no-alox on the wire connections or it is going to turn into yellow powder inside of a year and a half. Of course you all know how the salt air is in those towns so don't forget this important tip. Now get back to work.....
All those names most of us don't know how to pronounce, then there is Sunset Beach - must not have been named by any of the native's.:)

MD84

I would take this one step further and wire brush, then apply anti-oxidant, then wire brush again with the compound in place.

When terminating aluminum conductors, there are several practices one should be aware of to ensure a
quality connection that will remain trouble free.
1) Always use a connector that is listed for use with aluminum wire.
2) The following is recommended but not required. Always follow the connector manufacturer’s
instructions
a. The surface of the conductor should be wire-brushed to break any aluminum oxide
barrier leaving a clean surface for the connection.
b. The use of anti-oxidant compound, joint compound, is not required unless the
connector’s manufacturer requires it. However, the use of a listed joint compound is
always a good practice.
3) Always tighten set-screw type connectors to the manufacturer’s recommended torque.
4) Most importantly, do not re-torque the terminations as part of routine maintenance. As
with copper conductors, repeated tightening of any set-screw connections can result in the
eventual “biting” through the conductor causing the termination to fail.

NECA/AA 104-2006

NECA/AA 104-2006

Peanut gallery checking in here... better late than never...
The "Recommended Practice for Installing Building Aluminum Wire & Cable", NECA/AA 104-2006 published by the National Electrical Contractors' Assoc & the Aluminum Assoc, recommends anti-oxidative "joint compound" extensively.
I was taught to use a metal brush, brush the crap out of the wire, apply the "joint compound" (I always call it noalox, but then I forget to say "tm"...), then brush the crap out of it again. That made sense to me when explained, and so I've stuck with it. That said, I'm not doing this all-day-every-day, maybe I'd develop different thinking if the few minutes it takes were multiplied by thousands. Then again, it only takes one bad joint.
My key lesson on this was my sister's range years ago, that wasn't heating well: it turned on, but wouldn't heat up. I opened up the outlet and saw soot and evidence of overheating on the receptacle lugs. I cleaned up the wire, applying noalox thusly, and Bob's your uncle. Worked fine for years (at least until she sold the house!) after that.

http://www.southwire.com/documents/alumAssocGuide.pdf

FREEBALL

also in some literature it is recommended for copper wire installs on the lugs themselves to prevent corrosion, in wet/humid environments, to enable tightening/loosening the lugs. I use it on all outside feeders just saying.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Peanut gallery checking in here... better late than never...
The "Recommended Practice for Installing Building Aluminum Wire & Cable", NECA/AA 104-2006 published by the National Electrical Contractors' Assoc & the Aluminum Assoc, recommends anti-oxidative "joint compound" extensively.
I was taught to use a metal brush, brush the crap out of the wire, apply the "joint compound" (I always call it noalox, but then I forget to say "tm"...), then brush the crap out of it again. That made sense to me when explained, and so I've stuck with it. That said, I'm not doing this all-day-every-day, maybe I'd develop different thinking if the few minutes it takes were multiplied by thousands. Then again, it only takes one bad joint.
My key lesson on this was my sister's range years ago, that wasn't heating well: it turned on, but wouldn't heat up. I opened up the outlet and saw soot and evidence of overheating on the receptacle lugs. I cleaned up the wire, applying noalox thusly, and Bob's your uncle. Worked fine for years (at least until she sold the house!) after that.

http://www.southwire.com/documents/alumAssocGuide.pdf

I am not trying to burst your bubble.
But I am willing to bet a beer the connection failed because it was not done correctly and the stove started working because you established a good connection. IMO the noalox was not the cause either way.

kwired

Electron manager
But I am willing to bet a beer the connection failed because it was not done correctly and the stove started working because you established a good connection. IMO the noalox was not the cause either way.
And I am surprised the aluminum conductor was even salvageable without cutting some back and starting over with good conductor.

user 100

X2

Most, if not all, range receptacles are rated for use w/ aluminum, and likely have been for a very long time- probably poor termination from installation.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I find it hard to believe this "newer aluminum alloy" solves so many issues.
I liken it to back stab receptacles and 3 nipples goats. You get the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.