triplex over a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
A customer selling his house ran #6 triplex over his house, from an old utility pole on one side to another building on the other side. It runs over the ENTIRE LENGTH of the house and is about 5 or 6 feet above the roof at the lowest point. Is this code? Will a home inspector report this? Thank you.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
The triplex to a 60 amp hot tub is what bothers me, not the height over the roof.
Possibly correct, but looks suspicious from here.

Yeah, If it's triplex and assuming 120 volts the ground should still be insulated. Yes?

growler

A customer selling his house ran #6 triplex over his house, from an old utility pole on one side to another building on the other side. It runs over the ENTIRE LENGTH of the house and is about 5 or 6 feet above the roof at the lowest point. Is this code? Will a home inspector report this? Thank you.

A home inspection is not a code inspection so a home inspector can write this up if he/she feels it will have an adverse effect on the price of the property or cause future problems.

The good things is that it's probably not on his list of things to check.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
It is triplex from the house to detached building where hot tub is so yes, the ground is not insulated. I was going to install a GFCI 50 amp breaker in that building for the hot tub. You think there is a problem with the uninsulated ground triplex? I was considering installing a ground rod at the detached building since the triplex is only 3 wires.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
It is triplex from the house to detached building where hot tub is so yes, the ground is not insulated. I was going to install a GFCI 50 amp breaker in that building for the hot tub. You think there is a problem with the uninsulated ground triplex? I was considering installing a ground rod at the detached building since the triplex is only 3 wires.

Is the HT 125/250 volt?

Is the bare carrier being used as a Neutral (current carrying Grounded Conductor) or an Equipment Ground?

Do you have lights and receptacles in the building for the Hot Tub and are they being fed via the Triplex?

Is there Short Circuit Overcurrent Protection ahead of the Triplex?

Yes to any of the above means you need a 4 wire feeder to the Hot Tub building area with the Neutral being insulated. Typically you would also need two ground rods at the building.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
Is the HT 125/250 volt?

Is the bare carrier being used as a Neutral (current carrying Grounded Conductor) or an Equipment Ground?

Do you have lights and receptacles in the building for the Hot Tub and are they being fed via the Triplex?

Is there Short Circuit Overcurrent Protection ahead of the Triplex?

Yes to any of the above means you need a 4 wire feeder to the Hot Tub building area with the Neutral being insulated. Typically you would also need two ground rods at the building.
I told the owner his situation and he is going to delete the hot tub. :). I found out he had been feeding not only the tub but also other items, therefore underpowered. No hot tub anymore. But I still have a question. There is a small breaker panel on a pole fed underground from the house, then overhead triplex then into the detached blg. Should I drive a grd rod at the pole and at the building? Thank you

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I told the owner his situation and he is going to delete the hot tub. :). I found out he had been feeding not only the tub but also other items, therefore underpowered. No hot tub anymore. But I still have a question. There is a small breaker panel on a pole fed underground from the house, then overhead triplex then into the detached blg. Should I drive a grd rod at the pole and at the building? Thank you

We would use two rods at each location.

Status
Not open for further replies.