GFCI breaker for kitchen equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

According to the 2014 version of the National Electrical Code, all 120 volt, single phase, 15 and 20 ampere receptacles in dwelling units, serving countertop surfaces are required to have ground-fault protection for personnel.

So my question is, what about 230V kitchen equipment. Does that need GFCI too? The code doesn't say anything about it.

jumper

According to the 2014 version of the National Electrical Code, all 120 volt, single phase, 15 and 20 ampere receptacles in dwelling units, serving countertop surfaces are required to have ground-fault protection for personnel.

So my question is, what about 230V kitchen equipment. Does that need GFCI too? The code doesn't say anything about it.

GFCI not required for 240V dwelling unit kitchen receptacles.

rose1981

Nope.

Note that 110.3(B) may require GFCI protection for a piece of 240V equipment if the manufacture's instructions say so, in either type of kitchen, but that is different.

So, we have a commercial kitchen, where there are few kitchen equipment that are 208V. But a 2 pole or 3 pole GFCI breaker in squareD 208/120V panelboard comes in 10KAIC rating. But, we need a min of 22KAIC rated breakers. A standard 2 or 3 pole breaker comes in 22KAIC. So how do I ground the equipment?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
So, we have a commercial kitchen, where there are few kitchen equipment that are 208V. But a 2 pole or 3 pole GFCI breaker in squareD 208/120V panelboard comes in 10KAIC rating. But, we need a min of 22KAIC rated breakers. A standard 2 or 3 pole breaker comes in 22KAIC. So how do I ground the equipment?

If you meant to say how would you ground fault protect the equipment, Sq. D. makes 22k rated 2 and 3p GFI Breakers also.

JAP>

tsparks1

Cutler Hammer makes a stand alone GFCI unit for larger loads in both personnel and equipment protection. Just have to run your wires through the CT of the unit. Has NO/NC dry contacts for shunt trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
If you meant to say how would you ground fault protect the equipment, Sq. D. makes 22k rated 2 and 3p GFI Breakers also.

JAP>

The 10k rated breakers are likely series rated with a 22k main ahead of them, but check it out just in case, most all the standard QO breakers are series rated this way AFAIK.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The 10k rated breakers are likely series rated with a 22k main ahead of them, but check it out just in case, most all the standard QO breakers are series rated this way AFAIK.

10K is the standard breaker 22k gets into the series rating.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
10K is the standard breaker 22k gets into the series rating.

JAP>

Standard QO can be in series with breakers mentioned in table, some are even beyond 22k, GFCI, AFCI, and DF breakers are also in some rows of that table, all depends on exactly what breaker is ahead of it and what the available fault current is.

kwired

Electron manager
True but the standard it 10k generally.

JAP>
Every loadcenter with a factory installed main breaker (QO and Homeline anyway) has a 22kA main breaker. They don't require you to use 22kA branch breakers because the standard 10k breaker is series rated with the mains they use.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Every loadcenter with a factory installed main breaker (QO and Homeline anyway) has a 22kA main breaker. They don't require you to use 22kA branch breakers because the standard 10k breaker is series rated with the mains they use.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.