Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: house panel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Not exactly what it says though.

What that section covers is occupant's access to their overcurrent devices, and not what panel can they be supplied from.

Put all tenant panels in a common area or even in single panel in common area and they all likely have access and this part of code is satisified. If it is not desired for others to have access to other tenants devices then you have to watch which overcurrent devices go where or how access may be gained, but can't keep any tenant from having access to devices that supply their space.

Building management and supervision can allow for some variances on what is allowed.
    Agreed.

JAP>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Not exactly what it says though.

What that section covers is occupant's access to their overcurrent devices, and not what panel can they be supplied from.

Put all tenant panels in a common area or even in single panel in common area and they all likely have access and this part of code is satisified. If it is not desired for others to have access to other tenants devices then you have to watch which overcurrent devices go where or how access may be gained, but can't keep any tenant from having access to devices that supply their space.

Building management and supervision can allow for some variances on what is allowed.
    True.... But the OP did ask for a code reference for such. IMHO, I remember that OCPD that feed common areas have to be accessible to those who have access to the common area, but couldn't find a code to such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xformer View Post
    True.... But the OP did ask for a code reference for such. IMHO, I remember that OCPD that feed common areas have to be accessible to those who have access to the common area, but couldn't find a code to such.
    I look at it this way - common area is another tenant in a way. That don't mean all common area overcurrent devices need to be accessible to anyone, but can't be in place that is only accessible to another "tenant".

A managers office or general mechanical area that other tenants don't have general access to might still be considered the same "tenant space" as the "common area".

Apartment complex where a "super" lives in one apartment may not be considered for this one apartment to be part of the common area, unless designed and managed so that a change of the "super" means the new "super" moves into that same apartment, that sort of effectively becomes the managers office. But a situation of "super" lives in apartment 3, then gets fired, moves out, etc. and the owner decides to make the tenant in apartment 6 the new super, but remains living in apt 6, that isn't a situation of any particular unit always being the managers office and being able to supply house loads from within that space.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind that is somewhat relevant to this thread is that only 7 of the 50 states haven't adopted an energy code. The energy code requires that all dwelling units be separately metered.
    There are a lot of requirements for electrical under the energy code in the 43 states it is adopted and may be worth a look since your installations have to meet both the NEC and energy.
    "If you always do what is right to others you can't go wrong"

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

Always consult your local code enforcement department for direction. Read at your own risk