commercial kitchen hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

rose1981

If you are suppose to shunt trip any 125v devices underneath an exhaust hood, and all 125v, 15-20 amp devices in the same kitchen shall be protected by ground fault devices (breakers or receptacles), Then what do you do when you have a device that falls under both of those rules and requires shunt tripping because of being underneath the hood, but in the other hand, also requires ground fault protection. I don't want to install a GFCI receptacle behind the equipment. The only option I can think of is install a subpanel near the hood and shunt trip the sub panel. Is there any other option? Thanks!

dkidd

Occupation
PE
The requirement is

10.4 Fuel Shutoff.
10.4.1 Upon activation of any fire-extinguishing system for a cooking operation,
all sources of fuel and electric power that produce heat to all equipment requiring
protection by that system shall automatically shut off.

You only need to shut off heat producing equipment.

rose1981

The requirement is

10.4 Fuel Shutoff.
10.4.1 Upon activation of any fire-extinguishing system for a cooking operation,
all sources of fuel and electric power that produce heat to all equipment requiring
protection by that system shall automatically shut off.

You only need to shut off heat producing equipment.

How do I achieve this, if there is no GFCI breaker with shunt trip ? Its either GFCI or shunt trip? SquareD do not have a combination of both.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Read 210.8(B) carefully for where GFCI is required. Do you have any producing equipment that would fall under that.

jumper

Rose, this area is a wee bit specialized. Unless you are qualified, may I suggest subbing it out, the rules and regs can get tricky real quick.

I am not trying to say that it is beyond your scope of experience, but I would tread carefully. I would not wish the scrutiny of FMs, Health officials, mechanical, building, and electrical inspectors all at once on anyone.

rose1981

Rose, this area is a wee bit specialized. Unless you are qualified, may I suggest subbing it out, the rules and regs can get tricky real quick.

I am not trying to say that it is beyond your scope of experience, but I would tread carefully. I would not wish the scrutiny of FMs, Health officials, mechanical, building, and electrical inspectors all at once on anyone.

Thanks!! I am not working in the field :). I just wanted explore different options:)

jumper

So what are the different options?:D

Beats me.:) I am not qualified on this stuff, hence my warning for the unwary. I do control wiring, but never touched this stuff.

If you want to talk about industrial control panels for portable waste water treatment plants for the US military I might be able to help.

'Course I am going to verify your security clearance first.:D

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
How do I achieve this, if there is no GFCI breaker with shunt trip ? Its either GFCI or shunt trip? SquareD do not have a combination of both.

Don't use a shunt trip breaker. Use a contactor. It's advantage is that it's a fail safe device. If you have a bunch of electric deep fryers, it might pay to put them and any other device going under the hood on a separate panel and use a contactor to shut down the panel.

Pizza

You can shunt trip a sub panel and throw in all GFI breakers for your branch circuits.
I never use shunt trip breakers on kitchen good stuff, always contactors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
My recent restaurant kitchen I was able to place a gfci receptacle near the hood which protected the receptacles under the hood. This was a circuit that was fed by a shunt trip breaker.
But I must say the contactor really would be the way to go. Depends on your particular layout/options.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The only option I can think of is install a subpanel near the hood and shunt trip the sub panel. Is there any other option? Thanks!

That's how it's typically done. A panel with a shunt trip main and GFCI breakers.

kwired

Electron manager
What do you need to shut down that requires GFCI?

If it is not 15/20 amp 120 volt cord and plug connected, it usually will not require GFCI. Not much goes under a hood that is 120 volt that requires being shut down by the fire suppression system. Gas appliances may have 120 volt supply but usually with gas appliances all that is required is to shut down the gas when fire suppression is activated.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What do you need to shut down that requires GFCI?

If it is not 15/20 amp 120 volt cord and plug connected, it usually will not require GFCI. Not much goes under a hood that is 120 volt that requires being shut down by the fire suppression system. Gas appliances may have 120 volt supply but usually with gas appliances all that is required is to shut down the gas when fire suppression is activated.

If you were to go by NFPA 17A which deals with wet chemical suppression systems you'd be correct.

"4.4.4.1 On actuation of any cooking equipment fire-
extinguishing system, all sources of fuel and electric power
that produce heat to all equipment protected by the system
shall be shut down." [emphasis added]

However, most jurisdictions deal with the IBC and the IBC requirements have a quirk in them requiring:

"[F] 904.11.2 System interconnection. The actuation of the
fire suppression system shall automatically shut down the
fuel or electrical power supply to the cooking equipment.
The fuel and electrical supply reset shall be manual."

So one requires the electricity to shut down only if it produces heat (the more sensible option in my opinion) and the other require any electricity to equipment under the hood to be shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.