User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upsizing the ground wire for voltage drop

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Just to clarify the overcurrent protective device must be 30-60 then you can use the #10 equipment grounding conductor. If you upsize the conductor and kept the overcurrent protective device at 20 then you would have to upsize the equipment grounding conductor to whatever size the conductors may be.
    And if it's a metal raceway that qualifies as an EGC then in the OP he can just pull out the #12.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Just to clarify the overcurrent protective device must be 30-60 then you can use the #10 equipment grounding conductor. If you upsize the conductor and kept the overcurrent protective device at 20 then you would have to upsize the equipment grounding conductor to whatever size the conductors may be.
    Along with this line of thought, that feeder worked successfully for years but now the load is less and we replace the 60 with a 20. We all know what we have to do.

Put the 60 back in!
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flaw here is you can run a 40 amp circuit with 8 AWG conductors and use a 10 AWG EGC.

You can also run a 60 amp circuit with 6 AWG conductors and use 10 AWG EGC.

But if you decide to run the 40 amp circuit with 6 AWG conductors instead of 8, now you must also increase the EGC even though it is still on 40 amp OCPD.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen 1000-1500 foot runs of 4 AWG aluminum (with 4 AWG AL EGC) on a 30 amp fuse - those fuses do not respond as quickly on long runs with oversized conductors like they do with 10 AWG on a short run, but are still NEC compliant.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.