320 amp service on residence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a 320amp meter can with a nipple to a 12x18x6" junction box directly inside the garage. I will be tapping two parallel #4/0 alum in the jbox to feed two-200amp breaker disconnects and a 100amp panel. There will be two 4/0 SE cables and a #2 SE cable to be split bolted inside the jbox to feed these three items. The panel and two disconnects are as close to the meter and jbox as I can make it, all within three feet. The question is, must the cables be within a raceway or does the SE cable the suit the purpose of a raceway? This will be in a 2x6 wood wall construction, new residence.
Thanks for your help.

kwired

Electron manager
I am installing a 320amp meter can with a nipple to a 12x18x6" junction box directly inside the garage. I will be tapping two parallel #4/0 alum in the jbox to feed two-200amp breaker disconnects and a 100amp panel. There will be two 4/0 SE cables and a #2 SE cable to be split bolted inside the jbox to feed these three items. The panel and two disconnects are as close to the meter and jbox as I can make it, all within three feet. The question is, must the cables be within a raceway or does the SE cable the suit the purpose of a raceway? This will be in a 2x6 wood wall construction, new residence.
Thanks for your help.
SE cable is a stand alone wiring method.

Be aware there are possibly ampacity adjustments required if in thermal insulation - and those rules have varied a little depending on which year NEC applies.

Also your 2AWG cable if aluminum can not be used for a 100 amp supply if it is not carrying the entire dwelling load.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the 10' tap rule

240.21(B)(3) Except at the point of connection to the feeder, the tap
conductors are enclosed in a raceway, which extends
from the tap to the enclosure of an enclosed switchboard,
switchgear, a panelboard, or control devices, or
to the back of an open switchboard.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can't imagine why you would want to use se cable in this situation. I am not sure why you just don't feed the 2- 200 amp panels directly from the meter base as these have double lugs. Then you can feed the 100 amp panel from one of those panels

Both 200 amp panels are located upstairs 30' away in a mechanical room. The 200 amp disconnects are at the service location in the garage where a 100 amp panel for the garage and pool is located. I have the multitap 6 hole lugs to connect the feeders with #1 alum going to the 100 amp panel and 4/0 parallel conductors from the meter.

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP he is not dealing with feeders, he is dealing with service conductors.

After the meter but before the service disconnects.
Yes after the meter and going to the disconnects. The 200 a panels are 30' away. I wish it was a different build. Can the SE cable be open within the wall space.

kwired

Electron manager
Interesting point Dennis -- didn't know the physical properties of a cable change when carrying a unfused load but the NEC does infer that. Must be an interior type SE cable thing
They might presume if it is a service cable instead of a feeder that the length that is buried in a wall would typically be just enough to pass horizontally since service conductors are supposed to be limited length within the building. Problem is there is no specific length for limitations just "nearest the point of entry" for the service disconnecting means location.

Status
Not open for further replies.