2x4 LED fitures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Have any of you installed 2x4 LED fixtures in a suspended ceiling that were made by either Ecolit or Lithonia? (the contractor didn't know which and they were both listed on the plans)

These lights are about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick. I told him that he had to secure them to the ceiling grid and he told me he couldn't. I then told him that there must be a way since it's required by the code to be securely attached to the structure and that the manufacturer must have a clip or something that went with these. And yes there are some other options.

I will admit to a little bit of a language barrier too.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Have any of you installed 2x4 LED fixtures in a suspended ceiling that were made by either Ecolit or Lithonia? (the contractor didn't know which and they were both listed on the plans)

These lights are about a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch thick. I told him that he had to secure them to the ceiling grid and he told me he couldn't. I then told him that there must be a way since it's required by the code to be securely attached to the structure and that the manufacturer must have a clip or something that went with these. And yes there are some other options.

From what I see on line the Ecolit are light panels, not meant to go in the ceiling. They hang on the walls and are about 7/8" thick.

The Lithonia products are considerably thicker than 1/2" and are meant to go in the ceiling grid.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

They don't have to be clipped to the grid, they have to be attached to the structure. Like jack chain or the same wire they use to tie up the grid.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Don't forget that is a MA amendment, not a national one.

You mean that they don't need to be clipped to the grid?

Also I don't think I usually see clips come with the fixtures. More likely you pick them up at the supply house or wherever you buy the grid.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In seismic zones 3 & 4 per the CISCA standards (Guidelines for seismic restraint for direct hung suspended ceiling assemblies), "All lighting fixtures shall be positively attached to the suspended ceiling system", plus the wires on the corners depending on the weight of the fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.