User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wow... here is the chance of a lifetime.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    ...and now
    that i'm gas certified..... well, the sky is the limit.

Eat at a better class of restaurant and you'll lose that gas certification...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    May be a legitimate course, definitely not a course that will result in being licensed when completed.

Could even have some possibility for CEU credits in some areas.

Just because one is good at electrical doesn't mean they are good at other aspects of design and install of PV equipment, and vice versa. There are people out there that are good in both areas though.

In CA, the C10 licenses you to do PV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
    In CA, the C10 licenses you to do PV
    CA has licenses for everything though. I bet one needs a license to pick their nose even
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CA has licenses for everything though. I bet one needs a license to pick their nose even
    Only to pick someone else's nose. You can pick your own nose without a license or permit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the class is not too far from me and I’m free that weekend so I registered.

We’ll see if it’s worth the investment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May be a legitimate course, definitely not a course that will result in being licensed when completed.
    Yes, if it's NABCEP certification you're speaking of. Taking courses can make you better prepared to take the exam, but NABCEP administers the test.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a time 10 or 15 years ago when there were maybe 5 or 6 of these training companies on the west coast giving $3,000 PV installer classes, Boots on the Roof comes to mind as one. Most of them have gone out of business because they ran out of students. SEI is still hanging in there though. And there are a couple of community colleges around that still give PV classes for much less money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pv_n00b View Post
    There was a time 10 or 15 years ago when there were maybe 5 or 6 of these training companies on the west coast giving $3,000 PV installer classes, Boots on the Roof comes to mind as one. Most of them have gone out of business because they ran out of students. SEI is still hanging in there though. And there are a couple of community colleges around that still give PV classes for much less money.
    Probably where I would recommend going, especially if you are starting with the very basics of this or any other field of study for that matter. Don't want their degree, you don't necessarily need to take the full courses they want to get the degree and many will be fine with that. Big universities want to sell you their degree or have nothing to do with you unless you are donating something. Graduate students maybe somewhat the exception and can do more of what they want with course selections.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The course is pretty decent thus far. It is a 101 type course so I guess I can’t be too upset about 2 hrs spent on ohms law and wattage calculations. There are 2 instructors with about a decade of PV experience and they let me pick their brains about real world applications while the rest of the class works on how many KWH a 60 watt lightbulb running 6 hrs a day uses in a month.

I’m already much better prepared to get my first few PV installs started so, yes, the class was well worth the time and money investment. And I get 36 hours credit towards the prerequisite if I decide to sit for a NABCEP cert. IDK if that’s worth it but if I do decide to, I’m that much closer.