Hot tub wiring with no Neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Hello!

While replacing an old hot tub with a newer hot tub I noticed the new tub is a 4 wire, where the old tub was a 3 wire.
The service is VERY far away so running a new line with the Neutral is very costly.
Are there other options to get by without the Neutral?

Here is the manual for the tub in question.
http://platinumhottubs.com/manuals/TheLegendOwnersManual.pdf

Thanks again.

The only code compliant options I would consider are running the new circuit or feed a transformer at 240 with the existing circuit and create a new neutral at that point. Either way is not cheap.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
have you checked at the hot-tub disconnecting means ? often the neutral is brought to that location for the GFCI breaker and simply not extended to the tub itself.

iwire

Staff member
have you checked at the hot-tub disconnecting means ? often the neutral is brought to that location for the GFCI breaker and simply not extended to the tub itself.

I looked at the wiring diagram in the link he posted it shows a 240 volt pump 120 volt blower, 120 volt ozone thing, 240 volt heater etc.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think Augie was saying that although the orginal hot tub did not require a neutral, the original installer may have brought a neutral to the disconnect anyway and would be worth checking to see if it's there or not.

JAP>

JFletcher

How does the mfg state #6 wire with a 48A load? Spas have to be sized 125% or 60A, and #6 NM is good for 55A... or are they figuring thhn2 and conduit all the way?

welndmn, might want to check the awg of the existing wire... even if you have 4 wire at the disco, it might be #8.

Status
Not open for further replies.