User Tag List

Thread: e-stop guarding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-stop guarding

can you put a shroud or guard around a palm type or mushroom style e-stop? nfpa 79 10.7.1 simply states it is needs to be readily accessible. who has dealt with this? thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billk554 View Post
    can you put a shroud or guard around a palm type or mushroom style e-stop? nfpa 79 10.7.1 simply states it is needs to be readily accessible. who has dealt with this? thanks in advance.
    In our computer room we have an emergency stop button, with a clear plastic case velcroed around it. It's clearly visible, clearly marked for what it is, and anyone with a bit of sense will realize that you pull the cover out of the way and press the button.

We don't want someone leaning against the wall and the button at the same time!

One time we had a computer with a keyboard and monitor melded into the top. It was a walk-up console, at one end of the machine. And while standing at the console, you'd rest your right hand at the edge, and your fingers would dangle onto the main power switch. We used some of the magnetic cable covers the phone company used to use over the switch to prevent another accident.

I don't think our clear plastic e-stop cover was in place until several weeks after we moved into the building. I think that as long as the button is not hidden under an opaque cover there should be no issue.

Sometimes pushing a button accidentally is the biggest calamity!

ps-- I've seen e-stop buttons with a metal ring around them, as high as the top of the button. You have to -want- to push the button!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    ps-- I've seen e-stop buttons with a metal ring around them, as high as the top of the button. You have to -want- to push the button!
    I think this is common for escalator, moving walkway, and baggage conveyors at airports, among other things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think every situation where you would use such switches will have it's own conditions and reasons why some methods may or may not be preferred.

If you have a E-stop on a boiler and in situation where you want to get out of room as quick as possible because you don't really know what is going on, you don't want to have to mess around figuring out how to activate that E-stop, you want to just slap it while passing by on the way out of the room. Other situations you may have more ability to think about what you are doing, some may not even be a true "E-stop", but rather a shrouded or other method of some protection of an ordinary stop switch. True E-stop usually needs additional actions to reset it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not electrical, but how are fire extinguishers in a glass/plastic case with the notice "In case of fire, break glass" handled-- readily accessible or just accessible??

Sometimes the little hammer is still at the end of the chain! (:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have installed E-Stops at marinas (for the fuel system) and put an in-use cover on it (it was clear). Everyone was happy with that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every mfr of E-stop buttons sells a variety of E-Stop guards for them. It's perfectly fine, in fact it is required in some instances. Do a Google search for "e-stop button guard" to see for yourself.

One I thought was cool from my past life was a thin clear plastic E-Stop cover sold by Moeller. It was kind of like stiff cellophane that broke when you pressed it. So it didn't really interfere with operating the E-Stop in an emergency, but it was a tell-tale indicator of which button was pressed if you had multiple buttons, such as on a long assembly line. Don't know if Eaton has continued selling that product line after they bought Moeller. You can accomplish the same thing by using one with a key cylinder in it that you have to use to reset the button, but those are more expensive.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our building has fire pull stations with a glass rod that breaks if you pull the handle. The rod has a score mark to make it easier to break (but it's only about 1/8" or so in diameter).