User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: GFCI Receptacle for garbage disposal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    That has nothing to do with the requirement that the receptacle have GFCI protection. It just says you can't use a GFCI receptacle in that location to provide the required protection.
    Master's won't let monkeys use 2-pole GCFI's for MWBC's under sinks, but they might use 1-pole breaker for both dishwasher / disposer, and cap off extra leg in box.
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given all the recent torriod nec inclusions, I'm waiting for the decending ma (main, submains, ocpd's) model to debut here

~RJ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So glad I'm retired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    What if it is on other side of a wall, effectively in another "room" than what the pool is in? Certainly wouldn't hurt to GFCI protect it in most cases, but may not be all that necessary.

Problem with making rules is all the "what if's" that didn't come up initially when making the rule.

When it comes to a direct line regardless of obstacles, usually they are, the topic of discussion is how to measure that distance when there is obstacles, openings, etc.
    Doorway seems to have an understood meaning in the building trades the difference in the two sections

680 specifies a doorway with a hinged or sliding door (barrier) to separate the swimming pool area from the room in your post

My point is most would require, if a rec was in a cabinet in the swimming pool area to have GFCI protection. The wording is the same in both sections. As written the cabinet door does not create a separation that would be considered a barrier.

I agree if the code intends to exempt the rec in a cabinet it needs to be clear

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Doorway seems to have an understood meaning in the building trades the difference in the two sections

680 specifies a doorway with a hinged or sliding door (barrier) to separate the swimming pool area from the room in your post

My point is most would require, if a rec was in a cabinet in the swimming pool area to have GFCI protection. The wording is the same in both sections. As written the cabinet door does not create a separation that would be considered a barrier.

I did not check out what is in 680 but as far as 210.8 goes, 2017 they added wording that I thought was clear the cabinet door is such a barrier. Now it is mentioned that will go away again. Must have been a failed attempt at whatever they were trying to get out of the first time around?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsy View Post
    Master's won't let monkeys use 2-pole GCFI's for MWBC's under sinks, but they might use 1-pole breaker for both dishwasher / disposer, and cap off extra leg in box.
    Why? It is either GFCI protected or it is not, why does it matter if it is single pole, two pole or even three pole?
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Why? It is either GFCI protected or it is not, why does it matter if it is single pole, two pole or even three pole?
    Maybe it's just me. Never found one in resi fuse box in last 10 years.
    How many 2-pole resets have you installed, and where, much less 3-pole?
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post

Didn't the '17 focus on accessibility of gfci's??? ~RJ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's just me. Never found one in resi fuse box in last 10 years.
    How many 2-pole resets have you installed, and where, much less 3-pole?
    3pole, any service 1.2kA and up iirc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    Didn't the '17 focus on accessibility of gfci's??? ~RJ~
    Not sure how the test/ reset being accessible effects anything as far as GFCI protection of a Rec. goes.

"Readily Accessible" currently prohibits "to climb over or under, to remove obstacles"
    See first paragraph of 210.8 and 210.12
    Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    That has nothing to do with the requirement that the receptacle have GFCI protection. It just says you can't use a GFCI receptacle in that location to provide the required protection.