User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PF4 Locked parameters

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceworm View Post
    Hummm --
    You just got demoted to "Engineer-of-Record". And the customer needs to have a price before they have a scope. Hopefully you have a good relationship with the customer - if not, well, "yer screwed" (using precise engineering terms - of course)

Maybe:
    work up a scope for a generic.
    price out material and labor for a PLC with sufficient I/O
    Price out material and labor for a VFD(s)
    Be specific about the material you are providing.
    Be specific any changes to meet their scope changes are extras

And absolutely charge for your engineering. You probably can't call it "engineering" - but you will think of something to call it that you can bill for.
    I don’t care too much. They are hard to work with. Not too many PLC guys in the vicinity and they can use the experience if they want this one. I’m old.

Eta: They were discussing where and if they would have electric slide gates and how they would be operated. That was tabled for further discussion and in the next breath they wanted a price worked up for the whole project. How many motors do they have? That’s a question for you, because they couldn’t answer it.
    Last edited by ptonsparky; 04-26-19 at 03:30 PM.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of reminds me of the old architectural spec for a house as written by a business consultant (I can't remember the whole thing)- the house is to have between 3 and 25 rooms on at least two floors (to be determined), plan and equip for a future basement, any exterior color is acceptable but my wife likes blue..... etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Its all being replaced in some form or fashion in the next couple months which will lead to another thread on how the heck to give a price to someone that does not know what or how they want to do what they think they want done. Logic?
    part of the art of being a consultant is extracting what a customer actually wants from what they are telling you. the tree swing cartoon comes to mind. the worst is when you give them what they describe and it gets installed that way. they call you and say, "this isn't what i wanted."

looking forward to that thread

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drktmplr12 View Post
    part of the art of being a consultant is extracting what a customer actually wants from what they are telling you. the tree swing cartoon comes to mind. the worst is when you give them what they describe and it gets installed that way. they call you and say, "this isn't what i wanted."

looking forward to that thread
    My SIL asked me about that project. As I told him I suspect that CEO will bend himself over backwards before calling back. He didn't like the number of zeros on my WAG.
    Tom
    TBLO