User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: IDK what I want..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    CEO called and had no problem with T&M but needed an estimate. He didn’t like the number of zeros.
    I always HATED that crap. It's either T&M or a quote. Nothing good happens giving an estimate and then working T&M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    I always HATED that crap. It's either T&M or a quote. Nothing good happens giving an estimate and then working T&M.
    We give rough budget numbers all the time for T&M jobs. We're getting started on a remodel of a historic building and I gave a budget number for $160k just for power, lights, and receps. No data, fire alarm, elevator, etc.

It's much easier when you don't know what you're going to run into or what changes the customer is going to make. I'd rather t&m on these projects, than try to nail the customer down on exactly what they want with lots of inclusions and exclusions and change orders every time they go off course. Which is the position Tom sounds like he's in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    We give rough budget numbers all the time for T&M jobs. We're getting started on a remodel of a historic building and I gave a budget number for $160k just for power, lights, and receps. No data, fire alarm, elevator, etc.

It's much easier when you don't know what you're going to run into or what changes the customer is going to make. I'd rather t&m on these projects, than try to nail the customer down on exactly what they want with lots of inclusions and exclusions and change orders every time they go off course. Which is the position Tom sounds like he's in.
    I understand, but still hate it because the customer starts changing things and although he knows the estimate was just that, an estimate, the customer doesn't want to understand why it ran over, you know you're the expert and should have known. Then there is all that paperwork to keep up with everything you use on the project.

I understand that it has to be done sometimes, but ..... I still HATED it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by romex jockey View Post
    The universal axiom is good/fast/cheap
    The version I've heard is Budget - Schedule - Performance.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    that's a damn shame. he can work it out in therapy.

he also needs you to do it. you aren't the first girl he has flirted with,
    i'm willing to wager.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    I usually hear they are ‘over budget’, then the request for pricing.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drcampbell View Post
    The version I've heard is Budget - Schedule - Performance.
    much better !
    ~RJ~

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    I usually hear they are ‘over budget’, then the request for pricing.
    yeah. when i was getting ready to finish up the backyard, pool, pavers, yada, yada, i was gonna get a
    couple prices.... i stopped after one, and got an extra blade for the tile saw.

the guy came out, we discussed the scope of work, and he scampered off, promising a number.
    when i never heard back from him, i finally called, just out of curiosity, to see why he blew it off.
    he said when he sat to crunch numbers, he stopped at $115k, as it was pointless to go further.
    he knew he couldn't sell that.

i never even bothered to tell jill... just saddled up and planned on doing it myself. knowing that
    there would be unforeseen things that rear their ugly head.

like the crack in the pool shell that has to be fixed, that showed up.

another $500 for epoxy crack injection goop. gooping yesterday, using the spiffy doodle milwualkee
    18v. caulking gun, which has become my best friend of late, the cartridge blows out the o ring, and
    floods the inside of the $250 caulking gun with structural epoxy.

so, $500 became $750. i went and looked this morning. the caulk gun now needs to be chipped
    off the bond beam where i sat it.

i got most of the epoxy off my hands. when it runs out of the inside of the caulk gun, it gets on stuff.

yep. that epoxy sticks right nicely. you may be a redneck when instead of a loofah in the shower,
    you have a scotchbrite pad.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~