User Tag List

Thread: Breakers warming quickly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breakers warming quickly

So we did a new solar installation and each inverter is putting out 32 amps on #8thhn on a 2 pole 40 amp breaker. There are six of them in the system. After running for about a half hour each of the breakers were recording a temperature of 107-109 degrees. The breakers are all staggered and spread out through the 200 amp breaker panel. Getting too warm too quick? or too warm in general? Thanks for your input.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
    Getting too warm too quick? or too warm in general? Thanks for your input.

That temperature is not warm for a breaker. Molded case breaker are tested at a 40C (104F) ambient.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reason you seldom notice any heating of breakers in a house is not much ever runs continuously. Sometimes you may notice heating of an air conditioner breaker or a heating unit breakers during extreme heat/cold conditions when those items do end up running nearly continuously.

Go to commercial/industrial installations and you will notice heating of continuous loaded breakers more so than in a house.

Your PV system is also putting same load level out for long periods of time and will heat those breakers up some. But as mentioned, they are rated at 40C, which isn't extremely hot, but is pretty warm for people who have a normal body temp of slightly less.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40C

40C is 104F, as hot as a spa, but that is the breaker ambient.

Wire rated for 75C would be at 167F, hot enough to cause skin burn if touched for more than a few seconds, but still within its design rating.

I was around a power transformer operating at 90C, well within its design, but you could not get close because it was like a furnace radiating heat.

The point is that our senses are not a good indicator of what is safe for electrical equipment.
    e^(i pi) = -1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beanland View Post
    40C is 104F, as hot as a spa, but that is the breaker ambient.

Wire rated for 75C would be at 167F, hot enough to cause skin burn if touched for more than a few seconds, but still within its design rating.

I was around a power transformer operating at 90C, well within its design, but you could not get close because it was like a furnace radiating heat.

The point is that our senses are not a good indicator of what is safe for electrical equipment.
    Well, I believe our sense of smell can be a pretty good indicator.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Well, I believe our sense of smell can be a pretty good indicator.
    Sense of sight too, if it glows. And sense of hearing if it arcs.