User Tag List

Thread: Cameras Near Class 1 Div 1 Areas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cameras Near Class 1 Div 1 Areas

I would like to place security cameras around my tank farm (Class 1 Div 1). However, I don't want to spend the kind of money to purchase cameras that are intrinsically safe. What distance do I have to be away from my Class 1 Div 1 areas in order to install cameras that are not rated? And, is that distance the same if I go up and install the camera directly above the tank farm?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am allowing this thread because the op said a contractor will be doing the work. @A-Money
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have to be either suitable for the area classification or outside of the classified area. There is no distance. You need to consult you area classification drawings. If above the tanks is out of the classified area that is fine.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Money View Post
    I would like to place security cameras around my tank farm (Class 1 Div 1). ...

Q1: Context.
    Is this 3 each 10K gal horizontals for a gas station?
    or
    6 each 1Mbbl product tanks at a refinery?

Q2: Mission
    Are you looking out from the tanks for security?
    Are you looking in toward the tanks for safety?

Yes, knowing the mission and context will help.
    Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Don said, the Area Classification drawing is key. You should have one. If not, you will need to get one drawn up.

My usual reference for area classification is API RP-500, Recommended Practice for Classification of Locations forElectrical Installations at PetroleumFacilities Classified as Class I,Division 1 and Division 2.

I don't know the skill set for an EHS manager, but if you are not familiar with NEC 500, and API RP500, you will need someone that is. Doesn't have to be an engineer. If you have an electrical tech with site specific knowledge, they may well have the knowledge. An general electrical contractor - not so much.

Truly - unless the context/mission is security for above ground gas station tanks, I highly suspect the cost of the cameras is going to be way less than the wiring installation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One suggestion:

Do you have any light poles in the area?
    If so, are the fixtures listed for hazardous (classified) area?

If not, put the cameras up there.

I would still check the Area Classification Drawing, just to make sure the lighting contractor didn't screw up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I want to emphasize that an Area Classification document is not just important, it is required. See Section 500.4(A).

Second, IF you have a Class I, Division 1 location, THEN you are also likely to have a Class I, Division 2 location as well. See Section 500.5(B)(2)(3).

As noted above, the camera(s) only need to be located outside the classified location(s); otherwise, they must be suitable for the location. A word of caution: while a properly located camera may not need to be suitable for classified location(s), it is likely that wiring methods for it will cross a classified boundary and those wiring methods must be suitable for their locations. In addition, boundary seals would be necessary AND proper grounding/bonding will be required.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.