Spa and Hot Tubs at dwelling/ units

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardF

New User
Proper wiring method for connection of standard self contained spas and hot tubs in \ at dwelling units.

This installation has the spa sitting out on a concrete patio that is adjacent to the building.

When reading 680.25 & 680.42 [ c ]... I am under the understanding that we can run a listed UF type cable the the patio to connect the hot tub. This installation has no insulated ground other than the one enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable. It looks to me like this is an approved method after reading these code sections.

Can anyone please help to clarify if this is correct or approved

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Proper wiring method for connection of standard self contained spas and hot tubs in \ at dwelling units.

This installation has the spa sitting out on a concrete patio that is adjacent to the building.

When reading 680.25 & 680.42 [ c ]... I am under the understanding that we can run a listed UF type cable the the patio to connect the hot tub. This installation has no insulated ground other than the one enclosed within the outer sheath of the cable. It looks to me like this is an approved method after reading these code sections.

I don't think you can run UF wire underground because 680.42(C) says "Interior wiring" I know UF is not allowed to permanent pools. If you're running wire inside and only penetrating the wall to hit a disconnect, then any chapter 3 wiring method is approved.
But from the disconnect to the tub you need conduit and THWN conductors.
Some mfg specs also list what type wire (insulated, size) to run.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with bill. The uf can be used inside the dwelling but not outside. As Bill stated NM or UF to the disconnect mounted on the dwelling and from there you can use pvc etc with THHN-2

JFletcher

Welcome to the forum. You may run UF or NM from the panel to you exterior, line of sight, >5' but <25' away disconnect, however you cannot use UF from the disconnect to the spa.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also keep in mind that if the outside disconnect is also overcurent protection (GFCI breaker), the conductors on the line side are now feeders so no NM or UF permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.