User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Intercept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Hum, I believe we are speaking of two different scenarios.
    No, you said cut the conduit, insert a wireway, add extra conduit and hook up the VFD. But you assumed that the wires at the new motor would be long enough as they are. I assume they won't be (they never are).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulMmn View Post
    No, you said cut the conduit, insert a wireway, add extra conduit and hook up the VFD. But you assumed that the wires at the new motor would be long enough as they are. I assume they won't be (they never are).
    There would be 12" of wire that came from the motor in the wireway for splicing purposes. New conduit and wire from the controller to the wireway would extend the wires coming from the mcc and extend the wires that went to the pump. I don't understand what you are talking about the wires at the motor as far as what I'm talking about.

Now, the way I would do it is to remove the existing wiring, cut the conduit that was just cleared, turn them and run two conduits to the controller (if it's not a problem for the controller, you could just run one conduit and put a junction box where the original conduit was cut). Depending on the number of bends, you probably should just plan on putting a junction box where you cut the original conduit and then pull all new wire. But then, I might not get the job, huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mixing line with load on a VFD normally isn't good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sameguy View Post
    Mixing line with load on a VFD normally isn't good.
    So two conduits it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    There would be 12" of wire that came from the motor in the wireway for splicing purposes. New conduit and wire from the controller to the wireway would extend the wires coming from the mcc and extend the wires that went to the pump. I don't understand what you are talking about the wires at the motor as far as what I'm talking about.

Now, the way I would do it is to remove the existing wiring, cut the conduit that was just cleared, turn them and run two conduits to the controller (if it's not a problem for the controller, you could just run one conduit and put a junction box where the original conduit was cut). Depending on the number of bends, you probably should just plan on putting a junction box where you cut the original conduit and then pull all new wire. But then, I might not get the job, huh?
    I thought you were talking about using the existing wiring. Since they're replacing the motor/pump, the existing wires would probably not reach. I was proposing pulling the existing wires far enough towards the motor to make sure they'd reach the motor, use new conduit to the VFD and back to the existing conduit, and new wire back to the MCC.