Non Concealed Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
760.135(I) states that any of the cables listed in chapter 3 can be used in a fire alarm circuit provided they are copper and minimum 26 gauge. The thing I don't understand is, are they saying the cables must be exposed but no longer than 10 ft. or is it saying if I expose the cable it can not be exposed for more than 10 ft.?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
760.135(I) states that any of the cables listed in chapter 3 can be used in a fire alarm circuit provided they are copper and minimum 26 gauge. The thing I don't understand is, are they saying the cables must be exposed but no longer than 10 ft. or is it saying if I expose the cable it can not be exposed for more than 10 ft.?

That would be (B), for cable in chapter 3. So as I read it, if you're using Romex for the power-limited part of your fire alarm system, it can't run unconcealed more than 10 feet.

P.S. I'm going by the 2014 edition, please advise if you're not.

Romex

Romex

I am using the 2014 NEC. It just seems odd the way it's worded. It does not permit this cable can be installed in concealed spaces but it allows it in non concealed spaces and then goes on to say but not for more than 10 ft. I mean throughout the entire section of 76.135 it states you must use FPL/FPLR/FPLP. Then at the end it says I can wire the whole system with Romex as long as it's not exposed. This might as well be a Roseanne Roseannadanna clip.... Never mind.:D

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am using the 2014 NEC. It just seems odd the way it's worded. It does not permit this cable can be installed in concealed spaces but it allows it in non concealed spaces and then goes on to say but not for more than 10 ft. I mean throughout the entire section of 76.135 it states you must use FPL/FPLR/FPLP. Then at the end it says I can wire the whole system with Romex as long as it's not exposed. This might as well be a Roseanne Roseannadanna clip.... Never mind.:D

I think you misread the intention of the section. Normally, Romex would be entirely concealed. The section allows you to run it unconcealed, but for not more than 10 feet.

Non Conceald

Non Conceald

I think you misread the intention of the section. Normally, Romex would be entirely concealed. The section allows you to run it unconcealed, but for not more than 10 feet.

I think your right. My point is, where does the code tell me I am allowed to substitute the cables listed in chapter 3 for FPL in concealed spaces? Or is that just assumed?

GrayHair

Not familiar with where you are looking in Chapter 3, but take note of 760.3 Other Articles ; only those parts of Article 300 referenced in 760 apply to fire systems. Cable substitution can be found in 760.154(A) .

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician

I think you mean Emily Litella. She was Gilda's 'Nevermind' character.

Status
Not open for further replies.