User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Open Wiring Fire Alarm - Box Connectors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cypress, CA
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Open Wiring Fire Alarm - Box Connectors

    We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

    Any ideas?

    The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'


    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  16.3 KB
    Last edited by ryant35; 05-10-19 at 05:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You would have to look at the listing for that connector to see if it can be used with the wire you have, not the NEC. (It's not, by the way.)

    Is he talking about something like this- http://halexco.com/products.cfm?site...oduct_group=NM

    That's not listed for your wire either but he can make that call as the AHJ.

    -Hal

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,391
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryant35 View Post
    The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.
    Wouldn't it be on him to show that you are not?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,686
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or not allowed. But he can't because the NEC doesn't have anything to say about it.

    Give him what he want's- you'll save some money too!

    -Hal

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cypress, CA
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Wouldn't it be on him to show that you are not?
    That was our first thought.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryant35 View Post
    We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

    Any ideas?

    The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'


    Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  16.3 KB
    I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

    I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    woodbridge, ct. USA
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

    I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.
    So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,639
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?
    If there is a listed connector, it's come out in the last 3 years. Prior to that, while working for an installation company, I kept my eyes peeled for a suitable connector. What hbliss linked to at post #2 is the best one I've seen so far.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •