User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Subpanel ground/neutral

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by synchro View Post
    It's somewhat puzzling to me that the AFCI was tripping with the neutral and ground bar connections reversed. Nothing apparently changed on the load side of the breaker (either hot or neutral), just where the neutral pigtail on the line side was tied. Either way any voltage on the neutral pigtail must be very small and I don't know why the breaker would trip even if there were a few volts AC on the neutral line going into the breaker.
    However, because all of the neutral current on the subpanel was going through equipment grounds perhaps there are some marginal connections (like through painted knockouts, bonding screw, etc.) that cause fluctuations if not actual arcing in the conduction path, causing the AFCI to trip. Kind of reaching for straws here but that's all I've got.
    I think that is a good place to start.

Neutral pigtail is going to carry all the current the branch circuit neutral is carrying - with a single pole device that is the same current as the ungrounded conductor, if the load neutral lands on the breaker anyway, GE units may not apply.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post

A detail is missing.
    +1