User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot ground

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Yes, thank you. So many times you never hear what happened.
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockport Rob View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice. I thought I’d give you all an update.

I conquered this issue today. It took me 5-1/2 hours. There were multiple issues in 3 locations.
    To start with, the ground was broken in the first switch box away from the panel.
    Second, at the very next switch box the ground wires were twisted around the hot and the insulation was worn away at the point of contact.
    Third, the fixture wires in the foyer light were dry rotted and cracked with areas of bare coper on the hot and neutral. I’m not sure if this was actually a factor but I replaced it anyway.

And to top it all off, after I finished putting everything back together and turned it on...nothing worked! So I had to retrace my steps. I discovered at the first switch box that the hot going to the next box had broken inside the insulation. Apparently I wiggled the old wires too much. This wire broke right as it entered the box. There was literally a half inch of wire in the box. I ended up cutting in an old work box above the switch and making joints there rather than ripping out drywall and replacing the wire.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
    Wow!! Nice job troubleshooting!!! And welcome to the forum!
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob: you identified a wire broken inside the insulation

was this old knob and tube stuff ?

have seen automotive 16 ga wire broken inside insulation, but never NM or TW or THHN etc broken inside insulation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That was a real mess. Looks like the elves were at work. And I'll bet the homeowner said it just started happening.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockport Rob View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice. I thought I’d give you all an update.

I conquered this issue today. It took me 5-1/2 hours. There were multiple issues in 3 locations.
    To start with, the ground was broken in the first switch box away from the panel.
    Second, at the very next switch box the ground wires were twisted around the hot and the insulation was worn away at the point of contact.
    Third, the fixture wires in the foyer light were dry rotted and cracked with areas of bare coper on the hot and neutral. I’m not sure if this was actually a factor but I replaced it anyway.

And to top it all off, after I finished putting everything back together and turned it on...nothing worked! So I had to retrace my steps. I discovered at the first switch box that the hot going to the next box had broken inside the insulation. Apparently I wiggled the old wires too much. This wire broke right as it entered the box. There was literally a half inch of wire in the box. I ended up cutting in an old work box above the switch and making joints there rather than ripping out drywall and replacing the wire.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
    Where those highlighted items in the same cable?