User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: EMT on roof - water tight and drain?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    5,320
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    I often think there should be "uphill" and "downhill" LB's. The latter with leetle weep holes.
    Recently, I have started removing gasket from bottom ones. Frankly, it will probably still hold water in.
    BTW, just loosen the bottom cover screw. Works pretty good. But not technically as code compliant.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    BTW, just loosen the bottom cover screw. Works pretty good. But not technically as code compliant.

    or just leave it up to my guys. they will lose the LB cover. drainage solved.....

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    california
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Well since you got us started on this...

    You finally got me googling an idle thought I've had for a while. Which is: Where you come down from the roof and enter a building with an LB, to instead use a T with a drain in the bottom knockout.

    Thing is, you need the T to have the cover on the opposite side from the T hub, or wire pull is ...not gonna do it. Never seen one, but it turns out some companies apparently do make this. See TB option.

    And then, apparently there are ton of drain plugs to choose from.
    The trick will be finding suppliers that do this without adding any significant $$ to the project. I mean, I'm willing to spend about $3 extra.
    I’ve seen those and until now never understood what they were for.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I have had this discussion on jobs before. As has been noted, its pretty common to use EMT as a "sleeve" where PV wires need to cross walkways and such, or jump between sections of array. I am not sure off hand how to back it up with code articles, but it seems like the since the EMT is just a sleeve/protection and not a complete raceway system, and the conductors going through it are ok to be used without a raceway at all, then rain tight fittings would not be required and would be silly. I guess the "raceways to drain" requirement too? Its analogous to saying you can run direct bury wire through plumbing pipe, garden hose, or whatever you want because the pipe doesnt need to be there in the first place.

    We were doing a bunch of large rooftop system (~300 KW) and using EMT sleeves to pass between array sections and across walkways. We were trying to find an easier way that didnt involve pulling potentially long conductors through these pipe sections. Splicing them with MC4's could have been done, but we were trying to avoid unnecessary connectors. I had the idea of just using deep strut and laying the conductors in it.
    If it is a protection sleeve it doesn't even need to be anything listed, and it is not used as a raceway so other raceway requirements don't apply either.

    Arranging to drain still good design practice regardless, which mostly means don't arrange it in a manner that creates "traps"
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Eastern Oregon
    Posts
    3,787
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Well since you got us started on this...

    You finally got me googling an idle thought I've had for a while. Which is: Where you come down from the roof and enter a building with an LB, to instead use a T with a drain in the bottom knockout.

    Thing is, you need the T to have the cover on the opposite side from the T hub, or wire pull is ...not gonna do it. Never seen one, but it turns out some companies apparently do make this. See TB option.

    And then, apparently there are ton of drain plugs to choose from.
    The trick will be finding suppliers that do this without adding any significant $$ to the project. I mean, I'm willing to spend about $3 extra.
    We drill 1/8-1/4" drain holes where needed to accomplish this, whether it's a device box, conduit body, etc.

    I'm quoting a project right now with EMT on a roof, I will plan on drilling the conduit bodies if we get the project.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    11,261
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drill weep holes, cut a notch in the lower edge of the gasket, seal the openings to prevent air exchange and insect intrusions.
    Tom
    TBLO

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow View Post
    We drill 1/8-1/4" drain holes where needed to accomplish this, whether it's a device box, conduit body, etc.

    I'm quoting a project right now with EMT on a roof, I will plan on drilling the conduit bodies if we get the project.
    Same here. Never used any drain fittings. Seen a few that failed and didn't drain though.

    Even weep holes get plugged sometimes, but didn't really waste any $$ on something that didn't work in those cases.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used these to create vents / drains in conduit systems several times:

    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...encers/spl-12n

    I've installed them in the side-outlet of a plumbing tee (sized to the conduit), facing down. The conductors were pulled straight through the tee. Tee was placed at the lowest point in the conduit run, so water would collect there.

    The only time I was questioned by an inspector, I explained what I was using it for, and he shrugged his shoulders and just said, "OK. Makes sense."



    SceneryDriver

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,338
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SceneryDriver View Post
    I've used these to create vents / drains in conduit systems several times:

    https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...encers/spl-12n

    I've installed them in the side-outlet of a plumbing tee (sized to the conduit), facing down. The conductors were pulled straight through the tee. Tee was placed at the lowest point in the conduit run, so water would collect there.

    The only time I was questioned by an inspector, I explained what I was using it for, and he shrugged his shoulders and just said, "OK. Makes sense."



    SceneryDriver
    Where do you get inspectors that are allowed to think like that? The drain item is one thing, but I haven't run into any that would allow a plumbing tee no matter how much sense it might make - "it is not listed for that use".
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •