Range Hood in Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm getting conflicting information regarding the height above the range for a cabinet style range hood. The cabinet has a metal insert with an integral hood exhaust motor. I've been told that since it's metal it can be no less than 24" above the range top. Someone else is tell me that it needs to be a minimum of 30" above. The 2015 NJ IRC/fuel gas code seems to say 24" in this application with a metal liner within the cabinetry. The hood is like this:

84f1ef7e9b2ce1a6ad3617bfc5f3524f.jpg

rippledipple

Occupation
Electrical contractor
hood

hood

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the height above the range for a cabinet style range hood. The cabinet has a metal insert with an integral hood exhaust motor. I've been told that since it's metal it can be no less than 24" above the range top. Someone else is tell me that it needs to be a minimum of 30" above. The 2015 NJ IRC/fuel gas code seems to say 24" in this application with a metal liner within the cabinetry. The hood is like this:

84f1ef7e9b2ce1a6ad3617bfc5f3524f.jpg
I can tell you mine is just like the pic and it is 30" to wood and 38" to metal exhaust

Last edited by a moderator:

mgookin

I can tell you that I've (tried to) cook on a stovetop where that thing is too low and you can't stir the spaghetti sauce.
Remember that scene in Goodfellas? Keep stirring the sauce!

Pizza

I can tell you that I've (tried to) cook on a stovetop where that thing is too low and you can't stir the spaghetti sauce.
Remember that scene in Goodfellas? Keep stirring the sauce!

His brother in the wheel chair dint seem to mind the low vent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pizza

Talk to the HVAC installers. I usually just leave a long tail, connector and wire Nutz and let them deal with it.

mgookin

I don't have your residential code but look for clearance to combustibles above a cooktop.

kwired

Electron manager
Talk to the HVAC installers. I usually just leave a long tail, connector and wire Nutz and let them deal with it.

Maybe the HVAC guys, at very least the cabinet installer needs to get the cabinet at the correct height.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's what I've come up with from the fuel gas code but it seems that #2 may or may not apply to the installation in the photo:

G2447.5 (623.7) Vertical clearance above cooking top. Household cooking appliances shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (760 mm) to combustible material and metal cabinets. A minimum clearance of 24 inches (610 mm) is permitted where one of the following is installed:

1. The underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet above the cooking top is protected with not less than 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick insulating millboard covered with sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick.

2. A metal ventilating hood constructed of sheet metal not less than 0.0122 inch (0.3 mm) thick is installed above the cooking top with a clearance of not less than 1/4 inch (6 mm) between the hood and the underside of the combustible material or metal cabinet. The hood shall have a width not less than the width of the appliance and shall be centered over the appliance.

3. A listed cooking appliance or microwave oven is installed over a listed cooking appliance and in compliance with the terms of the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the upper appliance.

RICK NAPIER

That's about right but you also need to watch out for high end ranges particularly ones with a center broiler. I had one that did not allow metal for 36" and wood for 42". They had to raise the stainless steel hood to a stainless steel vent up. I checked with the manufacturor and they said to much heat is produced to be lower.

rcarroll

2012 IRC M1901 Ranges & Ovens
Clearances - Freestanding or built in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30" to unprotected combustible material.
Reduced clearance permitted per listing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That's about right but you also need to watch out for high end ranges particularly ones with a center broiler. I had one that did not allow metal for 36" and wood for 42". They had to raise the stainless steel hood to a stainless steel vent up. I checked with the manufacturor and they said to much heat is produced to be lower.

The hood instruction manual says "a distance of 30" from the stove top to the wood hood is recommended. Check local building codes and regulations for final determination". That sounds to be in line with the IRC, question now is where do you measure the 30"? Is it to the stove top or the the top of the metal grills over the burners?

RICK NAPIER

The hood instruction manual says "a distance of 30" from the stove top to the wood hood is recommended. Check local building codes and regulations for final determination". That sounds to be in line with the IRC, question now is where do you measure the 30"? Is it to the stove top or the the top of the metal grills over the burners?
The hood instructions may say 30" but you have to go by the most restrictive case if the listing for the range is greater. The instruction manuals with drawings usually shows the measurement from the top of the range.

mgookin

You know my answer. If you go by the highest part and add something, anything, you can't be held responsible for doing it wrong (in that respect).

Imagine a 30" stick standing on the highest part of the stove. Make sure that stick can't touch wood and you're good to go.

kwired

Electron manager
You know my answer. If you go by the highest part and add something, anything, you can't be held responsible for doing it wrong (in that respect).

Imagine a 30" stick standing on the highest part of the stove. Make sure that stick can't touch wood and you're good to go.
What if the stick is on fire?:D

Status
Not open for further replies.