Top Rated Hard Hats

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
fibre metal is the best, mostly because of the inner harness. basic hard hats are designed for top impacts but the FBM has great side protection which is great if your head is magnetically attracted to 6" steel pipe like mine :) Most of the company provided cheapies seem like your noggin is really close to the shell, its my opinion. They also stand up great to UV rays fwiw.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

tkb

i've seen these on jobs, and i'm guessing they are lighter than
a popcorn's fart, but they are a bit too much money for me....

http://shop.ceriouscomposites.com/CC-Carbon-Red-Kevlar-Hard-Hat-Full-Brim-CCH1-R.htm

your employer is required to provide hardhats, and other PPE,
in most situations.

I ordered one of the Blue/Kevlar hardhats from them in February.
I don't think I'm going to see it until November or December.

I think they only make 100 per month. It's a small operation.
I hope it's worth the wait.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Not sure, but the first thing I looked for in that link was an electrical rating. They are type C, not E, so they arent certified for electrical safety.. No idea if kevlar is conductive.
Kevlar is not conductive. Did you look at the rating for full brim Kevlar?
The uninsulated attachment bolt heads on the outside of the shell might be a problem too!

tkb

Where are you putting your head that is an electrical hazard while wearing a hardhat?

tkb

Somebody might drop a heavy live wire on your head?
AFAIK on most hard hat jobs you are not allowed to take it off just because you are working in a panel. ;)

And you are working in live panels? Isn't that an OSHA violation?

iwire

Staff member
And you are working in live panels? Isn't that an OSHA violation?

OSHA requires an electrically rated hard hat anytime a worker might contact electricity.

If a company does not require the employee to wear a electrically rated hard hat and than the employee ends up getting a shock of say a temp cable or splice the company is going to get fined for it.

Seems like a no brainier to use an electrically rated hard hat, it makes just as much sense as making workers wear hard hats when they are not working under anything.

peter d

OSHA requires an electrically rated hard hat anytime a worker might contact electricity.

If a company does not require the employee to wear a electrically rated hard hat and than the employee ends up getting a shock of say a temp cable or splice the company is going to get fined for it.

Seems like a no brainier to use an electrically rated hard hat, it makes just as much sense as making workers wear hard hats when they are not working under anything.

You mean like the National Grid guys I've seen who are going around town with "sniffers" doing leak checks at streets and dwelling units? Makes perfect sense to wear a hard hat for that. Never know when a tree branch might fall. :roll::lol:

kwired

Electron manager
Conditions that may be encountered have a lot to do with what is acceptable, I would sure hope anyway.

Any item worn with metal components or semiconductive properties may be a much larger hazard if you intend to work on or near 15000 volts then if you are only expecting 600 volts max.

When or where to wear an item? Some work places the general rule is anytime you walk onto the production floor you wear certain PPE whether the hazard it protects you from exists at that particular time or not. Getting into that habit makes people wear the item at all times instead of leading us to situations of, "I didn't know it was needed at that particular time".

Many utility guys I work around at times seem to put a hard hat on anytime they exit a vehicle, even though there are many times they wouldn't really need to wear it. Probably just general policy of their employer. You may see similar with safety glasses. They also wear FR clothing, but you don't typically see them changing those whenever they change tasks that maybe would dictate FR clothing vs tasks that don't require it.

Status
Not open for further replies.