Disposal Hard wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vmadden

If you installed an arc fault breaker and not a dual function AFCI/GFCI breaker then you do not have GFCI protection for the GD. You may need a GFCI protected outlet even if you do not have a receptacle. What code cycle?

I don't see anything in the 2014 code that requires a disposal (not a receptacle) to be GFCI protected.

Fitzdrew516

I don't see anything in the 2014 code that requires a disposal (not a receptacle) to be GFCI protected.

If you installed separate circuits for the disposal and the dish washer then you are correct in saying that the disposal does not require GFCI protection (if hardwired and barring any local amendments).

kwired

Electron manager
This is true. What I'm saying is that if he hardwired the GD off of the same outlet of the DW then by the fact that the DW has to be GFCI protected then the GD would automatically be as well. GFCI has to be readily accessible which means it can't be behind the DW.

What I have just learned.... There are way too many ways to wire this set up lol. Why don't they just make all 120V recepts GFCI protected and just be done with it already. I know it's eventually going to be this way so it could save everyone a lot of trouble right about now.
IMO if Disposal and DW are plugged into a duplex receptacle - there is two outlets there not one.

Disposal doesn't specifically require GFCI protection. A 15 or 20 amp 120 volt receptacle that supplies it however may be required to be GFCI protected.

iwire

Staff member
It's one receptacle with two contact devices connected to an outlet.

Pretty much. :cool:

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.