Ok my wag,
    24"x6' set 4' min.
    Rebar cage
    4800/+ psi concrete

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many pole manufucturer's have "per-engineered" base designs in their technical literature. Of course they are based on a specific set of conditions that may or may not apply to your installation.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did my first job with direct buried poles. They were 5” round aluminum, 20’ above grade and 4’ below, with a double bullhorn and two 300w flood lights for a sports field. The pole supplier did all the calcs for the soil type, I just needed backfill with coarse gravel or concrete. I went concrete. They went really well, I was impressed. A lot cheaper than getting footings poured as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post
    I just did my first job with direct buried poles. They were 5” round aluminum, 20’ above grade and 4’ below, with a double bullhorn and two 300w flood lights for a sports field. The pole supplier did all the calcs for the soil type, I just needed backfill with coarse gravel or concrete. I went concrete. They went really well, I was impressed. A lot cheaper than getting footings poured as well.
    What is the significant difference if you filled the hole with concrete anyway? Only 20' pole (above grade) doesn't need anything too special of a footing if it just has a couple luminaires on it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.
    I see what you are getting at now. It doesn't have a concrete base, just concrete fill around it. Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. Experience with a simple wood fence.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Well I have had a few times where I put more dirt back into hole than was taken out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    That's all we do with utility poles.

-Hal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    That's all we do with utility poles.
    Yes, but they're 1/3 in the ground in relatively snug-fitting holes, not tamped earth.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA