User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: 20' aluminum light pole what size Sono tube

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,908
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok my wag,
    24"x6' set 4' min.
    Rebar cage
    4800/+ psi concrete

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    24,137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many pole manufucturer's have "per-engineered" base designs in their technical literature. Of course they are based on a specific set of conditions that may or may not apply to your installation.
    Don, Illinois
    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did my first job with direct buried poles. They were 5” round aluminum, 20’ above grade and 4’ below, with a double bullhorn and two 300w flood lights for a sports field. The pole supplier did all the calcs for the soil type, I just needed backfill with coarse gravel or concrete. I went concrete. They went really well, I was impressed. A lot cheaper than getting footings poured as well.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post
    I just did my first job with direct buried poles. They were 5” round aluminum, 20’ above grade and 4’ below, with a double bullhorn and two 300w flood lights for a sports field. The pole supplier did all the calcs for the soil type, I just needed backfill with coarse gravel or concrete. I went concrete. They went really well, I was impressed. A lot cheaper than getting footings poured as well.
    What is the significant difference if you filled the hole with concrete anyway? Only 20' pole (above grade) doesn't need anything too special of a footing if it just has a couple luminaires on it.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

    The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNSparky View Post
    The difference in my eyes is big cost savings. In the past, I’ve hired a concrete guy to make the rebar cages, pour the footings and then hired a crane to set the poles. In this case, we dug a hole 4’ deep, was able to set the poles by hand with three guys fairly easily since they are aluminum and we are just dropping them in a hole, not up on bolts (no crane) and we mixed 5 bags of concrete for each pole ourselves in a wheelbarrow (no concrete contractor, the concrete just needs to be heavy, not any particular strength). It was a little extra work for us, but we saved I’m guessing $3500 in subs.

    The reason I went this direction in the first place is we needed to put these poles out in a field with no road access. We couldn’t have cranes or concrete trucks drive on the sports fields as they’d destroy them. The poles were light enough for two guys to easily carry them the several hundred feet to the locations.
    I see what you are getting at now. It doesn't have a concrete base, just concrete fill around it. Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,426
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Really good job of tamping soil could be just as good.
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. Experience with a simple wood fence.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    41,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. Experience with a simple wood fence.
    Well I have had a few times where I put more dirt back into hole than was taken out.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Hawthorne, New York NEC: 2014
    Posts
    4,702
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree with this. Experience with a simple wood fence.
    That's all we do with utility poles.

    -Hal

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    25,426
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    That's all we do with utility poles.
    Yes, but they're 1/3 in the ground in relatively snug-fitting holes, not tamped earth.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •