Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 20' aluminum light pole what size Sono tube

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20' aluminum light pole what size Sono tube

Hello all
    I have to install a 20' aluminum light pole. What size Sono tube would I need. The pole is square. I will have one fixture on top. I know you are suppose to have this engineered out but I was hoping to get a rough idea on what I'm looking at for size. I was thinking maybe a 18" tube 6' long. 4' in the ground and two above. Maybe it needs to be longer? Any help would be great.
    thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using your guesstimate, I would make one change: 6' tube, 5'‚Äč in the ground.

Don't forget to make a hole in the tube for the PVC stub-out.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the precast footings , I have a friend doing alot of these on a job right now the precast are easy to install and sometimes cheaper

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by purevoltage View Post
    Hello all
    I have to install a 20' aluminum light pole. What size Sono tube would I need. The pole is square. I will have one fixture on top. I know you are suppose to have this engineered out but I was hoping to get a rough idea on what I'm looking at for size. I was thinking maybe a 18" tube 6' long. 4' in the ground and two above. Maybe it needs to be longer? Any help would be great.
    thanks
    I'm doing a job with 25' poles. Base is 24" diameter, 30" above ground, 48" below ground.

For what it's worth.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although you can possibly come up with a general conservative answer, I would have to say that the engineered answer will depend on the characteristics of the soil or other substrate and the likely wind loading on the pole.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by purevoltage View Post
    Hello all
    thanks
    permitted? how you gonna get this signed off without a stamped drawing?

last poles i did required a certified inspector for the pour, and a concrete sample
    he took with him. all working off a stamped approved drawing.

YMMV.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need information on the E.P.A. of the fixture(s) and the design wind speed.
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe throw some rebar in.
    At the last lighting job we did it became obvious prefab is now the way to go. No drilling use a backhoe, no pour, no base bolt problems, base was smooth,...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Although you can possibly come up with a general conservative answer, I would have to say that the engineered answer will depend on the characteristics of the soil or other substrate and the likely wind loading on the pole.

Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    By the precast footings , I have a friend doing alot of these on a job right now the precast are easy to install and sometimes cheaper

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Seems to me a poured in place footing fills all the voids. Precast would mean you need to compact soil around it, as well as under it if you excavated too deep, or you have more risk of movement later. Not really any different than setting wood poles in direct contact with soil. Not saying it won't work, but probably has advantages as well as disadvantages.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I do have a permit for this. The city does not require a stamped set of prints for this pole. I had not thought about a precast base. I will have to look into that. To be safe though I'm getting a engineer to figure out what we need for sure. I agree that it depends on the soil and that part I'm not really sure what we are going to need. I will reply back with the answer from the engineer to see what he says. thanks for all the great suggestion.